Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by spectorman, Mar 2, 2002.

1. I posted a thread a few days ago asking advice on alternative strings for my new Alembic Signature, does no-one who owns an Alembic use any other strings than Alembics own. I had two replies and niether of them offered an alternative. I have tried every string Manufacturer in England, and none of them make a string to suit the unusual scale of the Signature. Does anyone want to buy an Alembic, I am really dissapointed.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

All string brands (except for a couple small small ones), and a lot of the brands makes short scale strings. Very good prices, and very good customer service. I'm sure they'll ship to England.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    While I love juststrings (I'm pretty sure I own stock in `em by now :p ),
    I think the international shipping rate at sheetmusicplus is a little better
    than j/s's $35. Though the selection may not be as great.

sheetmusicplus has GHS, SIT, Rotosound, and Thomastik Infeld short-
    scale sets. Try here --
    and enter short scale in the "2. Enter search words" box.

UK TB'r Bruce Lindfield has dealt favorably with sheetmusicplus.
  4. Thanks for the info you guys, I was expecting some feedback off Alembic owners to see what strings they actually use, if not Alembics own. IS IT A SECRET?.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I've heard mention of an Alembic owners "club".

I would think that, among other things, they'd discuss strings...
  6. I own a Series I and swear by Thomastik Powerbass strings. They are the most consistent, articulate, well balanced, and long lasting roundwound string I have used.
  7. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I like the Alembic strings, but lately I've gravitated back to the bright and long lasting Dean Markley Helix strings... love them all around and the price is right for my frequent string changes.
  8. bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    First off: Topics - Alembic Club
    is Alembic's own Club for Alembic users. You can get great info on all things about your Alembic from other Alembic users here. Good folks with a ton of knowledge and patience for sharing it. As to strings - I've used the Alembics on my Stanley Clarke Brown Bass (30.75" scale) with good results. Lately, though I've done a small adaptation to Pyramid Gold flat short scales with great results on the Alembic. The sound is phenominal - deep and grunty, with sweet highs and lots of good stuff ready to EQ in. All it requires is to trim about 1/4" of silk from the top (nut) end of the E string (string is just slightly short). Sound is not affected. Check out the Alembic Club for lots of helpful support and info. It's the best of the owner/user forums I've read.
    AlembicPlayer likes this.
  9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I've played a series one for over 30 years...I use TI Jazz Flats
    I also own a Spoiler, it has TI Jazz Flats as well.

It's really a matter of what type of sound you are after.
    Proper rounds will give you that "piano" tone with growl, while flats are warmer with less to no "growl".

I have tried many string types and brands and have remained with the TI Jazz flats...these have the best feel and tone for my tastes.

and selling your bass because you haven't found your string seems a bit extreme :)
    SamJ likes this.
  10. hinklegm

Nov 8, 2009
    I mean, I'll buy your alembic if the price is right. By that I mean MUCH less than you'd be willing to take.
  11. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OP was last here nine years ago.
    hinklegm likes this.
  12. hinklegm

Nov 8, 2009
    I should really start checking the dates
  13. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Holy Necromancy Batman! this sets a new record for me too.... Gonna start checking dates.
    hinklegm likes this.