Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AlembiKawai

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artistanbul, Jun 24, 2004.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
  2. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    I have one of these and it is a very good bass for the money. The bass in the auction is the first fretless that I have seen. That is kind of cool. The upgraded electronics are an intersting plus, as well. SOmeone is going to get a great bass.

3. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    that is also what I thought. I wonder if anybody has experienced this combination..

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, what a find. I had an older Kawai bass with the zebrawood top. It was converted to a fretless before I got it. I was a great bass but old and worn. It needed new pickups. Given the unique shape of the pickups, replacing them would have been pretty pricey given that I paid so little for it. Sadly, I had to let her go (sniff sniff). This one seems to be well preserved and upgraded. Grab that puppy before its too late!

r

5. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    well.. I AM tempted to buy it, but I really do not want to overpay. Besides I would like mine fretted. My inital thought was to get some info/ideas about how this sounds, and present it here in case anyone may be interested. This really is the best looking and best preserved one I have seen yet. But if I really had my eyes on it you wouldn't have seen this topic with my nick on top :D

6. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I agree - probably a real good one -- but IMHO, if you want fretted, don't even consider fretless - they are very much two different animals.

7. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Now that you mention it, it would appear that the pickups in the bass in the auction don't fit in the routed cavities very well. I'd want to see that up close - or at least from a better angle - before buying.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I did notice that the fit of the Alembic pickups wasn't perfect. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that this will pose a problem tonally or that it’s not stably anchored in the cavity. This is the one bummer of ordering online, you can't sit down and try it out.

I wouldn't pay over $500 for a Kawai even though they are excellent. They're old and most don't know the name (well, at least non-keyboard players, anyway). However the excellent condition and the Alembics give this axe an edge.

In the end, if yr not in the market for a fretless, then I'd pass. I can tell you back in the 80s when I tried one of these fretted Kawai models brand spanking new, it was the best playing and sounding bass I had ever picked up at that time. It WAS an Alembic for people who could never afford one (I think it was going for $800 to $900 at the time). It had this piano-like quality and lots of tonal variation. With the Alembics installed, this axe is probably killer. Bummer it’s fretless.

r

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah buddy - My first or second bass (I can never remember which I bought first) back in the early 90s, was a piano black Kawai 4 fretted. Dunno the model number, but it was AWESOME.