Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ALERT ALERT: You are listening to pop music!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is something that I've briefly mentioned on this board but never gone into detail about, but do not assume that you hate a genre on the basis of what you've heard.

Let me start from the start. I use to listen to nothing, by that I mean music meant nothing to me. I devoted myself to certain genres, but they meant nothing. I loved my dad's music, then Mc Hammer (ha ha), country music, my dad's music, metal... or so I thought.

I use to be very very closed minded about music, as I find many are. Sadly, many of them include my friends (who are musicians that I'm trying to get out of their closed minded rut: See my "Tool" thread). Even worse as past thread have discussed classic rock radio. Little known fact, there are more to bands than greatest hits albums.

The subject at hand: What's your favorite genre? Example.

I like metal... when I turn on the radio, do I feel that metal is being fairly represented. Hell no times one thousand.

I don't like rap... or do I?... Catch my drift?

When you turn on the radio, unless you are listening to some indie station, college radio, etc... you are listening to pop music. Pop rock, pop country, pop rap, pop metal, etc. The stuff that has been watered down and xeroxed so many times that you are left with a lifeless shell that is suitable for the masses. I don't think all radio friendly music is bad, but it is a prison cell for so many. They think: This is it, this is music. No need to further persue any listening/research I have found music.

I'm starting to run into rap acts I like, some I really like. A lot of old school stuff... not Fitty Cent.

As a listener, I consider music a challange almost, to find music, to keep me interested and therefore inspired. Even searching within your own genre. http://www.allmusic.com helps a lot. Like a band? Find their influences, who've they've influenced, similar artists, etc.

I don't think I've gone on a winded "omg I'm so underground im wikkid sweet" rant in a while... so here it is. Just think about this rockers/punks: Is Avril properly representing your genre?

2. I agree with you. Even most classic rock is quite poppy. That's why many bands such as Led Zeppelin are classified as Rock/Pop at music stores. I agree that making a commercial, radio-friendly song is a prison cell for many bands. Few artists can get away with a single over 5 minutes long. Censorship, mass-produced pop artists, the list goes on. I can't say I disagree with your points. However, like you said, a lot of radio friendly music is good. No, not everyone is represented equally; not every genre is properly represented at all. A lot is basically watered-down to feed the masses and the masses accept it. But there is good out there. And besides, it's not like I listen to much radio anyways... basically just when I'm in a car. I listen to the music I want by buying and downloading the music I want to hear. Not everyone does it this way, but hey, there will always be sheep who listen to the hot artists on MTV. Not so much my problem, as long as they're letting music of some kind motivate their lives. Some people will never taste a delicious steak in their lives. They're content with Spam or whatnot. It's not great, but hey, they're still pretty healthy (okay, maybe not with Spam ;)).

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Matt, I'm sorry, but until you stop trying to divide music into little groups based on style... you are still.

Radio is run by money for money.... Popular Music within every style will always be the easiest to find, marketing and forcasting will see to it for you.

I don't have TV in my house, and other then the talk radio station for news... I don't do radio either.

I've been a member at allmusic for a long time.... I lurk music forums and google most of what is being talked about. I grab samples of what I can, I buy used what I can find. Sometimes I get crap, sometimes the crap will have a shining spot.

Music is Art... stop trying to set rules and just listen and enjoy everything.

And Avril is properly representing Avril... stop listening to the marketing and just let the music speak for itself. If'n it ain't speaking what you want to hear, move on to something else.

4. They still play music on MTV? I cannot remember the last time I saw a music video or concert on MTV.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Could you elaborate on this? Is this in reference to genres? My attempts to learn genres is so I could find more bands I like. Example Primus is funk metal when stuck in a little box... the Infectious Grooves are funk metal when stuck in a little box. They sound totally different, but I knew since I liked Primus theses guys might be worth checking out.

All I'm trying to say is not all rock, metal, jazz, country, etc sucks. Maybe what you've heard has. I know people who hate metal, but that's because they know it as "thrash metal" ala Slayer, Megadeth, etc. And I played them some other styles of metal and they loved it.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, I like some pure pop: I just bought the new Gwen Stephani album for my girlfriend and I think it's awesome. I also like Jamiroquai, Justin Timberlake's solo album, a few songs I'll catch on the pop stations I appreciate. I also dig the new breed of pop rock that is coming out... Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinan. I've butchered the spelling of a lot of theses names but you get the point. I also love New Wave music... I hate a lot of punk, but I like New Wave a lot. Devo, Oingo Boingo, Gary Numan.

I am not banning pop music, but if I was purely a rap fan and I wanted to see what "rock n' roll" sounded like, and I turned on the radio and heard Gary Numan, I don't think that is a fair representation. In modern terms, if I was to turn on the radio now, Evanescence doesn't fairly represent... anything.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Our cable TV provider just 'gave' us MTV2; I had heard good things about it, like it was the 'Old Skool MTV' or sumtin...well, it isn't. It's more like MTV circa the mid-'90s.
    I know I'm now over-the-hill & such...regardless, I was in my early 20s when MTV first went online. I do remember everyone checking it out; teens thru my uncle in his 60s were regular viewers. Who is watching this stuff now?

As far as the current state of Pop...why waste my time expressing my displeasure.
    There are a few gems out there(Joss Stone) amongst the many, many poseurs(Ashlee Simpson, et al).

Back when I was listening to whatever my parents tuned into the AM radio in their Rambler...it was stuff like The Beatles, Motown, The Doors, Janis, etc
    Even the lightweight stuff like Looking Glass, The Grassroots, Three Dog Night, Dawn, Bobby Sherman, etc had decent rhythm sections goin' on.

A CD player in the vehicle is a must-have for me.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Ok, I can see your reasoning... but I still think you are the same as ever.

I love angry agressive music, so I'm not even considering the fact that you are trying to champion the "Metal" front.

Music can portray and provoke moods... If the mood is right I can *feel* as much from a cheesy pitch corrected pop tune by the bimbo of the week as I can from a Mingus or Coltrane performances or as much as I can from Tool, Disturbed, Alice in Chains discs.

Each tune / disc represents itself.... that's the only point I was really trying to make.

and what classifies as *Pop* changes with every couple years.

But keep it real Matt, seek out what buzzes in your head, tell people what you think is good or worthy and spend less time telling them what they like is wrong :bassist:

9. There are three types of music...pop, classical and jazz. end.

10. If I like a song..then I like the song..I don't really care about "genre" or style anymore.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha, I didn't know I came off like that... for the most part, I don't like metal. Like 50% of metal is unbearable to me. I understand what you mean by the metal front though. I just wish I could show you my cd collection. Out of roughly 300, I'd say only 10 of my cds are "Bragging rights, wikkid underground stuff." I hate myself for coming off like that, because whenever I go to a party, someone wants to talk music with me, but then someone else joins and it turns into, "Who knows the most underground music." Knowing I'd lose and thinking it's stupid, I just walk away. Everytime you talk about a band, the key is to end every statement about them with, "I liked their earlier stuff better."

I know you've had a history of thinking that I come down on people who brag about the latest band, specifically Evanescene, but I figure, if a band is going to get popular off of someone elses style, fans should credit their influences. This is how I discovered some of my current favorite bands.

Primus still one of the tops in my book listed a few influences that I never got into: Peter Gabriel and XTC. I had only heard Sledgehammer by Gabriel and I thought "who the hell is XTC." And now I love theses guys. I like XTC's Black Sea era stuff the best... just about all Gabriel is gold.

So when I say, "Evanescence ripped off Nightwish." I'm assuming with the advances in internet music, Evanescence fan won't have to buy a Nightwish CD, they would/should check out some MP3 clips online and if they get into them, cool beans. If they don't... their loss. I just don't like people just accepting what they are given. People who like Jet, but don't like the Rolling Stones, etc.

I've learned to cross "pop" off my list of dirty words years ago, especially with my new found love/respect of good production. With the "bimbo of the week" stuff, it's all production. I think that I'm coming off different than what I"m trying to say because this...

is all I'm saying, more or less. I am more often than not annoyed by the "everything sounds better underground" front that you speak of. I'm just annoyed by the fact that some people refuse to believe it exsists. At one point, Limp Bizkit were just some garage band that no one heard of. They didn't just release their first big single the first day they formed. I just... don't like MTV/the radio... I guess.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also: A large chunk of underground music is underground for a reason.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :cool:

Sorry I misread ya

:bassist:

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No big, one of the toughest things about internet conversations. Also thinking about it, the term underground is quite a lose term. I mean, something is either popular or its not. As soon as a pop song stops being pop it's labeled something else "Classic rock" some 80s pop got grouped into being called "New wave."

On a side note: Bathroom stalls on campus always have names of bands I have never heard of them written all over (the musical competition flows into the bathroom). So seeing as their are very few Jazz fans on campus I wrote (rather big) "CHARLES MINGUS BITCHES!"

... I win. :D

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Except Modest Mouse has been around for 9 years.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well... new Modest Mouse. Their older stuff was down, but they decided they wanted to make an up album. And that fits in with the new style of rock.

My only beef with those guys is the guy who just does backup vocals, plus the occasional tamborine. WTH? What cut of the gig money does this guy get? ;)

17. Perhaps genres in music is one of societies habits of putting things in neat packages. We seem to do it with most things including people. I think just did it in that last sentence. The world is a grey area though not black and white.

Anyway, I used to be rather close-minded with music, the stupid thing is that I'd find myself tapping my feet to songs I told myself I didn't like (or couldn't) because of the artists or genre. Now I just tap my feet.

18. I'll freely admit I like a lot of pop music. OK, pop rock music. Damn if the Go Go's "Head Over Heels" isn't one of the most perfect songs ever. The whole "Aurora Gory Alice" album by Letters To Cleo is one of my all time favorites. Then again, I got to hang out with the Circle Jerks and said I liked that Vanessa Carlton song :scowl: ...

There's something about a pleasing melody, a good rhythm and groove that makes a song or sound palatable to the masses- thereby "pop." The most disonant stuff I still enjoy are probably the first two Fugazi full lengths.

While I don't like a lot of rap, there's a groove in the performance some things I just can't get enough of- Public Enemys "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..." is just a monster.

If a band consistently puts out great stuff more and more people will buy it, and it becomes popular. Just because a cool band signed with a major doesn't automatically make them uncool or sell-outs. A band that ruled as much as REM did and turned radio-sappy- they sold out. (or just plain grew old) Nirvana didn't change a heck of a lot either.

I'm really fortunate to live close to a small college with a very small but mostly indie rock based radio station. Ten watts is enough to cover part of the city and enough to get into my basement. Unfortunately, the DJs rarely ever announce who they're playing or who they played.

http://wccx.cc.edu/new/djs.php

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I hate that Golden Boy. I always wanted to find a Banjo player and make a punk/metal kinda band with them. The local campus station played almost exactly what I had in my head... almost an entire album... and the guy didn't say what it was. I was in the car and I don't own a cell phone/know the number or I would have called.

My friend and I did a metal show there a while ago, and after every four songs, we'd annouce what we played.

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I disagree. I tend to think of genres as adjectives, and not definitive groups.