1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

alerts

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by kkaarrll, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    don't seem to be alerting

I see multiple threads I am interested in, yet they don't show up after I have clicked them

?

2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I wonder why you don't get an alert when someone comments on a thread you have started.

3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    or just one that I have watched?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you clicking on "watched threads" and seeing nothing? If so, there is a little button on the bottom blue bar that says "show all watched threads." You only see watched threads in that list if they have updates.

5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    my watched threads list is long, I devour everything, usually an alert shows up when someone posts new stuff

sometimes it doesnt?

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't think I am having an issue getting alerts but I've gotten lazy since their introduction, I don't always follow up on threads without an alert, so I wouldn't actually know if I was missing them.

7. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I haven't been getting email alerts since November. I don't really miss them, but it does seem to be a glitch somewhere (I haven't changed any settings). I do get the little alerts at the top of the page.

8. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    weird, I just see threads I used to get alerts for, it shows I am still watching, but no more alert, and then I see them at the top of the new posts.

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Have you actually visited the thread(s) in question? You won't get any new alerts for the threads if you don't actually open them between alerts.

10. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    If you wish, you can go here and check the box to enable "persistent alerts". That way you don't have to actually load the thread between alerts.

11. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    You've gotta have two options checked: first, you must check "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" in your preferences, and then in your Alert Preferences, make sure you select to receive an alert when someone replies to a watched thread. Optionally, select "enable persistent alerts".

BurnOut likes this.
  12. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Had one, not the other, Thanks

paul likes this.
  13. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014

thank you

that must be it, I had that unclicked. Thank you. As someone that runs another website similar to this in a different genre, great job!

14. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I was actually just about to start a thread regarding the persistent alerts option. I've been noticing recently that I wasn't getting many watched thread alerts, but I just attributed it to slow activity. Then today I clicked on my watched threads and found a ton with unread posts that I missed. In the past I seem to remember getting alerts for every new post, and I definitely wouldn't have disabled this option myself. Is this a new option that was added and disabled by default? Is it a bug that changed my settings (and maybe the other posters' in this thread)? Or am I just crazy?

15. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The default behavior of the forum software (no new alerts for a thread if you haven't read the thread since the last alert, even if it has new posts), has gone unchanged. The persistent alerts option is relatively new, and off by default. We can make it on by default if most TB'ers would prefer this.

Edit: in fact I meant to change this so that persistent alerts are on by default for everyone. Just never got around to it. Soon the option will go away, and persistent alerts will be on for all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    blixild likes this.
  16. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Paul, have you changed things so that "Persistent Alerts" is always on yet? I have been working with Bryan Tyler to try to figure out why I am no longer getting any alerts. We looked into a bunch of things but so far we haven't been able to figure out why I stopped receiving them starting about a week ago. Spencer

17. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yes persistent alerts are on globally as of a couple hours ago. Any change?

18. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    No, not so far..... I did just get two replies to existing private conversations but no direct email alerts have been received.

19. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Ahh, you're speaking of email alerts and not on-site alerts?

20. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Ok, must be email alerts in your situation. Because of two spam complaints on Jan 21st, our mail service (Mandrill) opted to not send you any more emails so as to keep our spam rating good. Probably just a mis-click on your part :)

I've taken your email off the spam sending blacklist, so you should start to get emails now.