Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis 3630 2nd-channel(purpose???)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whats the purpose of having a 2nd-channel on a compressor?? Or in my rigs case how would I use it?? I'm running a classic SVT II into two 4x10 RR mesa cabs with a Korg dtr-2 tuner and now I need to find the best way to use this Alesis 3630 2-channel compressor. Any ideas???:confused: :D

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A two channel compressor can be used to set different compression levels for one source, the same levels for two different sources, or two different levels for two sources. It has more use in a studio environment than as a bass rig, but if your amp has two channels you can use it in conjunction with EQ to get some pretty fat sounds.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have any idea how I can work this compressor into my signal chain? This model of SVT does'nt have a effect send or return:( :confused: . Sorry if this sounds like a silly question:rolleyes: .

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Try this : bass-->Comp.--->SVT.

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would Bliss but theres no input on the front of the comp. I guess I can pug through the input in the back though. Right??:confused:

6. yeah you'll have to run it to the back.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, thats where it goes. Don't plug it into the one labeled "insert" or "sidechain" though, just the one that says "1" or channel 1 or A.

8. The back of my compressor (Behringer Composer pro) says send and return, plus the sidechain inserts. I dont know about the Alesis though. MAybe it just says 1 and 2

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm not sure about the Alesis either, but thats the gist of it anyway. I use a composer too.

10. can a dual channel compressor be used basically as two different compressors... i was wondering if it would be possible to maybe run my bass through one channel into my bass amp and maybe vocals or something through the other channel into the PA...

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yes. my band does that all the time.

edit: for stupidity:D

12. beautiful... maybe a good excuse to buy one now

13. Just a thought for you guys also...........

I have the 3630, and I use both channels seperately, but both for bass.

I take the bi-amp sends from my pre-amp, and compress each signal a little differently.

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have 3630 and I never really thought what to do with the second channel, I like the 3630 and that's all that matters to me, sometimes I loan to a friend who does a lot of live sound, he appreciates the second channel more than I do!
    I suppose if you were using two basses or splitting your signal (eg: clean & distorted) it could be handy to have two channels...

15. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can someone elaborate a little on this comment, as far as having 2 channels on my bass amp and hoe to set this up?:confused: :oops:

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

IF you have a two-channel amp with effects loops for each, set it up just like a single channel, only do it twice.