Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis 3630 compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 3, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have seen a couple of these for sale recently, and many on eBay for a fair price. I want one for my bass rig. I also looked at the ART Dual Levelar, which is tube compressor.

Anyone use one of these? How good/bad are they? What do they lack, anything? How do they compare to the Dual Levelar I was looking at?

-Mike

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Look also at the dbx 166XL and 266XL Compressors...Alesis units are nice, but I found the dbx models to work much better with bass...really tightened things up for me!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright then.....thanks for the tips...I no longer have a deal lined up for the ART, so it is out of the picture right now.

Does the Alesis do a good job on bass?

I will look into the dbx's you mentioned.

-Mike

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Isn't the Alesis 3630 the only rack mount
    full size Stereo Compressor on the Planet that
    uses a yucky Wall Wart for a power supply?

I'm still happy with a Behringer MDX 2200 after
    2 years of Bass use. Got to love that Low Pass feature.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...I may be getting in over my head by looking for a compressor. The BBE383 I bought has one built-in, but I am just not getting the tight bass I want from it. It is real boomy, and almost muddy. I thought about an EQ, but I think I would never find a "perfect" setting, and would find myself always adjusting something.

I may look into the Behringer's. The reviews are very mixed on Behringer products overall, so I am not sure what to make of them. They are a fraction of the cost of a dbx. But, are dbx's worth the extra expense?

-Mike

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The DBX is made in the good 'ol USA so
    they are worth it. Do your part for the economy.

8. Alesis 3630 is a great value and a great effect also. for a stomp box comp. unit try the Digitech Bass Squeeze. it is a great dual band comp unit for about $80.

9. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Google on "alesis 3630" in the audio newsgroups. The Alesis 3630 is regarded as the worst available compressor at any price, and would probably win a plurality for the worst piece of audio gear in a poll. At this price point, go with the Behringer.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Glenn D....thank you for that reference. I did the search for it, and read all about it. I am glad you pointed me that way.

It is down to the Behringer, and the ART right now. The only problem I am having is how to use both channels. Every one I look at is two channels in the rack mount versions, which is what I want.

Can you bridge the two channels like you would on a power amp? Does it increase the quality of the compression? I don't get it. Maybe I should not be buying a compressor.

-Mike

11. i apologize for the bad advice i gave on recommending the Alesis 3630 i have used one before and never had any troubles. happy playing.

12. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hey, if it works for you, then you've got every right to recommend it.

Glenn D.