Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis AirFX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Sep 1, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like fx :D I buy fx that I have no chance to use in a band setting just because I like to play with them :bassist: I went to the GC Labor Day sale today and bought, for $49, an ...

Alesis AirFX :)

This thing is crazy! It's designed for djs, and it has 50 preset filters and phasers and flangers and synths and tremolos and wacko stuff. It works w/ an infrared beam that you move your hand through in 3 dimensions to change the tone. No knob tweaking!!! It's from the future!!!

Of course, it's tough to use while you're playing bass because you use 2 hands to play bass. I thought about my pedalboard and tried moving my foot through the beam and that works fine, I've just got to get better at making small foot movements. Wowie Zowie what a fun effect! :bassist:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use a loop pedal with it, frees up the hands. Have fun! It's sort of a cheesy toy, but it's cool as hell to screw around with.

3. sounds really cool!

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    my guitarist used one when we were in the studio... he couldnt put it down.... he is thinking about adding one to his pedalboard. did you have to convert if from RCA's to jack sockets?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    RCAs do bite, but they make cables w/ rca on 1 end & 1/4" on the other.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    My guitar player used to use one on his pedalboard. You could get cool sounds with the AM radio and static effects..I have no idea about bass, though...for 49 bucks, it sounds like a fun toy

7. I'm sorry - I know this is an old thread, but does the beam thingy not work if you move the headstock through it? Does it only work with warm pink things? ;)

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You can move anything through it, but you have to make relatively fine movements for most of the fx.

Non-pink people can operate it, as can cold people.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    As can the elderly, the spastic, and the leperous for as long as they have the appendages.

10. So a snail could only use it if it was thrown through the beam?

:D

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know.