Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis DM 5 Drum Machine

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by konfishily, Jun 13, 2005.

1. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Fellas,

Anybody have any experience with the Alesis dm 5 drum machine? How is it? Can you edit and make your own beats?
    I dont have a band at the moment and I dont like practicing for a long time by myself. So i figured I can groove along to that. I know pandora's are good too but id prefer a rack mount unit.

2. I've got one. It's not bad, but it usually needs a bit of extra effects to sound good in a mix. I run it through a Lexicon MPX500 which can fatten it up a bit if it's set up right. There's a crunch kick that I love the sound of. I use it with Cubase, and the drum patterns/loops you can come up with are endless - all up to your imagination. I've got a few loops that I like to jam along to, and I'm always trying to come up with more. You do need a sequencer though AFAIK. I got mine used for 80.00 which was a helluva deal IMO about 4 years ago and have had no problems.

edit: it's much easier with a midi keyboard too - you map out each drum/cymbal whatever to each key and go from there. I think there's 13 drum kits (which are presets of about 5 or 6 octaves worth of sounds) that can all be edited.

3. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    What does the sequencer do exactly?

4. You map it out in the sequencer ie: tell it what to play and when. There may be some preset patterns in the DM5 that it can play on it's own, but I've only used it with a sequencer. If you hook a MIDI keyboard directly up to it, you can play it that way. I suppose you could play it with a MIDI bass too, but I don't know anyone who has one. With the sequencer (Cubase, Logic, etc.) you can record what you've played, and then have the computer play it back for you. Just like any other MIDI instrument, synth etc.

edit: it's also got input triggers so you can hook up a electronic kit, or a bunch of mics.