Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis GRIP Sub-bass processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pshift, Apr 13, 2004.

1. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    Does anyone have any experience with one of these? It appears to be making the rounds in the DJ circles but it appears to have some interesting applications for the bass guitar.

More info can be found here.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    People have racks for their car stereos?

It looks like it does the same thing as the dbx120xp. Also I think the Peavey Kosmos does this. I like my dbx but it's not perfect for me so I wouldn't mind trying the Grip. You need to run a crossed over sub cab to use subharmonic generators like this.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have a dbx120A that I use in my rig, sounds like the same type of deal...but how would it stand up to an A/B test? Also...does it use a regular AC cable or that dumb wall wart adapter?

4. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    It uses an AC line cord likem all rack equipment SHOULD!

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, it's about time Alesis got rid of the wall worts, they sucked! I'll have to try this puppy out sometime!

6. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Actually, a few do. I was bored at work one day, so I picked up this guy's car audio mag. There was a "pro" that had a couple of Rane eq's in a custom mounted rack. The "pro" said, "If sound engineers and musicians use 'em, I figured I would too."

I thought that was a bit interesting.

7. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    Never mind the above. I decided to go woth a BBE 882i. I know, not quite the same unit but I'm impressed with what one of these units can do for your sound overall.

$187 brand new is not bad, after all.