Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis Midi Pop!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adam on bass, Dec 14, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just acquired a Microverb and Rolls Midi Buddy board. When I am playing and switch channels I get a "pop". When I am not playing it is find when switching. It also does it from the face when I change banks while playing(actualy my guitar player switched it, two hands you know). The Microverb was used but it looks brand new. I also get the same "POP" when I use a footswitch to bypass the Microverb.

Is this standard? I am just finally getting into midi and have no idea how quiet this should be.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    MIDI isn't at fault. MIDI is just a digital control interface.

It sounds like you have a problem with the Microverb. I don't know if this is a common problem with that device, but I've never gotten pops out of any of my MIDI switched effects. I also have never had a pop from activating a bypass switch.

3. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That's what I figured. Sounds like a bad capacitor or somethin'.

4. Maybe...but maybe not. In my experience (owned 2 Quadraverb 2's), the Alesis' are studio processors, meaning that that aren't really designed for live bass FX processing and switching. You can switch and trigger via MIDI into them, but it's possible that the Microverb (being the budget MidiVerb) is less than robust in the live applications.

However, even some of the most expensive processors have trouble switching, as they were designed for studio use. The only units that sound halfway decent when switching are the Rocktron line, because they have effect bleed-over and the switching isn't as noticeable. It sucks that Rocktron processors, for the most part, suck dork, but you take the good with the bad.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I've used several different Lexicon rack units, the tc electronic G-Major, and the Line 6 Echo Pro. I've never heard any of these units make any noise when switching from one setting to another.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For what it's worth, my little Alesis Nanoverb (the next step down) also pops when switching between patches. I don't use it for live use (and never intended on it), but I'm sure those pops through a cranked up amp would drive me crazy.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Sounds to me like Alesis took some short cuts in the design to reduce cost.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I use a Nano live all the time... I have it in a true bypass loooper, and if I want to swicth presets - I do so when the loop is not ingaged...

I love the Nano, it sounds much better than any "pedal verb" out there.

Alex

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That sounds like a lot of work. One more step in the process would screw me all up.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    You really can't go wrong with Lexicon gear. Many of their old boxes are dirt cheap on the used market and they have very nice reverb sounds.

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am mainly using it for the chorus' and delay patches. The guy at Alesis said it shouldn't be doing that, so to the shop it goes.