alesis modfx?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrewd, Jul 16, 2004.

1. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    are these effects processors worth the dirt cheap prices im seeing for them online? they seem to be discontinued since they are non-returnable and not on alesis' website, but im interested in the vocoder and ring mod/distortion unit. are these viable for bass?
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes and no. Do a search. Sweetwater sound has samples with guitar.

I couldn't figure out an easy way to get pitch control on the vocoder. The Bitrman has a stupid thick digital distortion that I love, but I rarely need that sound and it's very loud so it requires a limter after it. At $35, there pretty much isn't anything else out there that cheap (Arion?).
  3. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a metavox vocoder, the deal is it chooses the vocal pitch and you just shape the vowel sounds....

you can pick either a single pitch to sing at or have it go up and down in pitch at different rates while you sing

its cool, but not as a serious vocoder. cuz you cant play guitar and have it follow you pitch wise, its just a cool toy

The Sweetwater mp3 sample page is at :
  4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Is the Alesis the little red thing with 2 pedals on it pretty much like a Zoom Multi FX pedals ??
  5. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I think your referring to the newer guitarfx unit. We were talking about the smaller, rectangle modfx units.
  6. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Alesis have made a little red thing that looks pretty much like a Zoom pedal. I think it's name is............can't remember - but here's a link :

I'm not used to those kind of pedals but I have tried to tweak one for one of my students and - well let's just say that you get what you pay for.