Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis ModFX?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Nov 4, 2002.

1. They look pretty interesting, me and my newly converted to gearhead guitarist have been checking out some new things to add to traditional Death Metal. We've already made ground breaking material by actually knowing how to play, but we'de like to add a little color. These Alesis effects look pretty interesting, they even have a synth and filter. Anyone try any out?

[​IMG]

2. and one for MadSub...

[​IMG]

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AFAIK, they are yet to be released. I've been looking at them too.

4. I saw them on musician's friend, I guess they're pre order.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I've been looking at the "Philtre" one myself.

6. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    Just did a search for "Alesis Philtre", found this and decided to bump it instead of starting a new thread.

7. If I had to guess, I'd say that these were aimed more at DJs than musicians. I have the Phlngr. It's very digital (cold) sounding. It's got a nice range of controls and settings. But, it's not as wacky as you might expect. I read somewhere that the Metavox is kind of cool if you're looking for a vocoder sort of effect. MF has them in stock.

~ Charlie

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    MF is now selling these at $50 a pop. At that price, they're worth it for people who like to tweak. I've tried 3 at this point. There are clips online at www.sweetwater.com

The metavox is a 38 band vocoder. I returned it because I couldn't figure out an easy way to get pitch control. The robot sounds without pitch control sounded pretty neat though. All of these boxes seem designed for studio more than performance, and this is especially true of the metavox.

The bitrman is my favorite at this moment. It has comp, distortion, phasing, and then a choice of unusual effects like FM, Ring Mod, and Bit Reduction. You can put them in almost any order. The distortion knob isn't very extreme, the phaser knob is. If you like ring mods this is worth a try, I'm not too into them because they lack pitch control. Maybe they'd be cooler if I was in stereo, w/ one line clean and the other ring modded. The reason why I like this one is the comp + bit reduction setting. This gives you a stupidly thick digital distortion. Very synthy and silent when you're not playing. The end of the decay is abrupt, but if you crank the comp you get a long decay.

The philtre is the other one I've kept. It can do a low pass that's reasonably close to a mutron, and it has other fun settings like a triangle wave autowah and a pattern filter that steps itself through your signal. You can even tap in the tempo you want.

You cannot save settings, but that's true of most boxes at this price. The bypass button is small, so if you're nimble you might be able to put it on a pedalboard but you'll probably want to get a remote footswitch. They sell a rack shelf for these but it takes up 3U.