1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alesis multi mix 8 usb. Do you/Have you ever used this and how to use phantom power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjohnson441496, Apr 28, 2015.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    yesterday i decided to hook up an old alesis multimix 8 usb between my boss rc 300 looper and my amp. I plug my looper into one channel and my bass into another. This allows me to control the volume of the bass and looper separately through one device. I also use headphones through the alesis because my amp doesnt have a headphone jack and using the headphone jack through the looper actually sucks because the bass peaks out creating imbalance between the drum samples

Im getting really clean sound and the alesis surprisingly has nice effects that i use on the bass channel.

I've never seen a mixer used in this way and was curious if anyone else does this.

My other question is how does phantom power work? It sounds logical but i cant seem to get it to work.

2. Simplified a balanced microphone has two signal leads plus a grounded shield. Normally the two signal lines are floating around ground potential. When you switch on the Phantom power, the signal leads are raised to typically +48V DC. Electronics within the microphone, or other devices, can use that power to operate. Regular moving coil microphones are unaffected by this voltage.

3. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks. So its for microphone use. Got it.

4. I use my MultiMix8 USB for recording, using the RCA out into a 1/8" jack into the mic input on my computer's sound card. It's not ideal, but since I'm only using it to demo to other band members, I'm not too worried.

There were a lot of issues with the 1st-gen USBs being noisy if you used the USB port to record, hence why I do it my way. There's a fix, but I wasn't interested in cracking it open to perform the change (IIRC).

5. Usually yes for condenser microphones. That said, I have a little pre-amp/DI designed for an upright bass where, if you connect the DI's XLR to a mixer with phantom power enabled, it will operate quite happily without a battery.

gjohnson441496 likes this.