Alesis Nano Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Anybody have any first hand experience with the Nano Bass synth?

I'm looking for opinions on the various bass tones, and their quality. My needs are producing an authentic sounding P-bass tone, and upright type tone. Thump is optional, but would be appreciated.

I'll be driving it with a Hammond XK-2 keyboard, through the synth, and into my SWR IOD and subwoofer rig.
  2. I'd be curious too, as I'm thinking of picking one up used and using it with a Fatar 37- or 49-key MIDI controller for synth bass.
  3. I scored one from eBay, and it will be here in early February.

I put together a spread sheet of the ROM Sounds found in the three Nano: Bass, Piano, and Synth modules. The N-Bass has by far the most number, and widest variety of fundamental bass sounds. I think 19 of them overlap with the N-Synth module.

The N-Synth doesn't meet my requires for a performance box. It has the RCA consumer type outlets, plus it is designed specifically to be a Stereo device. Unlike the Piano and Bass modules, the Synth does not sum L+R to a mono output. Both the Bass and Piano modules are designed to plug into a standard Effects loop.

My plan is to split the keyboard of my Hammond XK-2 and divert the left hand keys into MIDI and the Nano Bass. The right hand will play standard Hammond tones. When I'm playing keys instead of bass, this should give me much better bass than left-hand organ, which is just awful.
  4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
  5. It has 1/4 inch jacks (not RCA)
    Manual says use left output alone if you need a mono output.