Alesis SR-16 owners:How are the patch sounds?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Feb 16, 2006.

1. I'm very interested in buying a Alesis SR-16 drum machine. I've wanted one I can use for basic beats with some jam sessions. I'm not really looking for this to be your average "real" drummer. I want to be able to set up some relatively techno sounding one measure loops. How are the techno sounds on it? Do they compare to the Roland 808 or the 909? Could I get a boss drum machine more compatable with better sounding patches for what I want used for around the same price?
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    There are a lot of sounds in the SR16s bank, and I think it's a pretty fine selection and quality for a $100 drum machine.

Unfortunately, the default drumset that loads up initially sounds crappy to my ears, but there's a great variety of drum sounds that you can use (in the low 200s) and you can assign any sound to any pad. If you can handle programming the average electronic device, you can get good sounds out of the SR16, I love mine, and it's well built. I wouldn't make real recordings with it though; the sounds are good -at its price range-