1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alesis SR-16 vs SR-18

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ics1974, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Which one should I get?
    I thought I read somewhere people like the SR-16 better but I can't find it.
    Which is easier to program and overall better?
    I do not own a laptop and I want it to be portable so I am looking for a hardware solution just for jamming.

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I've had both. I have the SR18 now because the SR16 died.. But I did like the 16 better. the 18 added bass tracks (which I find annoying and have to turn them off)... the 16 had a more logical preset listing...

3. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks. How are the pads on the sr-18 compared to the sr-16?

4. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Do you mean the physical feel of them? Both are fine but I really never use them - I also program my beats.

5. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    You can program your beats without the pads? Does the sr 18 sound better?

6. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Yep. It's called "step editing" much easier to create complex rhythms. I didn't have the 16 and 18 at the same time so I didn't do a side by side audio comparison but I didn't notice much sound difference with the 18.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I had the sr-16..it was awesome.
    sold it..regretted it and bought a boss dr..suttin er otherr..friggin sucked . i miss the sr-16.
    i know that prolly dont help much. but i can only surmise that the sr-18 can do the same as the 16, even if it has new added useless features. ;)

8. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Get the 16.

9. .
    I've had an SR16 for 20 years or so.
    It's been fantastic.

Saying that, I'll buy an 18 one of these days because the sound samples are supposed to be better.

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've had both. The sounds of the SR-16 sound very dated to me. Great box if you're into 80s drum sounds. But, I prefer the 18 since it has more sounds available.