Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alesis Studio 32 mixer - bal. or unbal?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tomtrb, May 11, 2001.

1. tomtrb

tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Is the Alesis Studio 32 mixer balanced? - I mean the direct outs on each channel. I wanted to get this mixer plus an ADATXT or HD24 but Ill need to go in balanced. Actually, I guess I would need a digital interface like the Ai3 or Tango24 to go to optical. So many options, so little cash. What do you suggest? I had also thought about a digital mixer - I think its called the TDM1000 or similar.
    Thanks to all,
    Tomtrb

2. tomtrb

tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Oh, BTW - is the Alesis HD24 capable of recording 24 tracks simultaneous or only 8 simultaneous. Ive read that it has 24 ana. ins - 3 by 8 channels. I dont really understand this. Besides, I would want to use the optical input which would mean Id have to buy an interface right? - and I dont know if I could send more than 8 channels through the lightpipe at once. If not, then I can get a DIGI001 system with 18 simultaneous ins for the same $$ as one HD24. Please help, Im lost.
    Thanks everyone,
    Tomtrb

3. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Well here's what I know: I use a studio 32 (great sounding board IMHO) with a Fostex D-160 and the outputs of the Alesis are balanced. To conect to the recorder you could get balanced cables to go from the outputs to the inputs of the recorder and use it's onboard A/D converters. This will work fine and sound great. Or you could get external A/D converters and run a balanced line from the mixer to A/D converter and then a digital line to the recorder. Of course the only adavantage to that would be if the external A/D converter was A LOT better than the ones in the recorder and to get 24 channels worth you'd spend some serious $$$$$$$. Your best bet I think would be to run balanced cables from the studio 32 to you recorder.