1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

alex axe basses? who remembers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anybody remember Alex Axe basses? I know Michael Henderson used one as his fretless from Going Places onward. I just found this clip of GQ and their bassist has one. Check it out:

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm surprised nobody remembers these basses. I believe they were made in Michigan. Any of the Detroit crew know about Alex Axe?

3. Hi Cheese and everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first message. So hello to all.

Alex Axe Basses were built at the Guitar Lab in New York. I played a fretless (like Michael Henderson's) from 1977 to 1989. The design was based on instruments built by luthier Charles Lobue. He made a fretless one for Alphonso Johnson who used it quite a lot during the seventies and eighties.

The Alex Axe Bass was named "El Matador" and had a mahogany body, 2octave ebony fingerboard, and an interesting body connection with a t-profile neck (fingerboard broader than the neck entering the body). Most distinctive were the p-type circular pickup (placed more towards the bridge compared to a precision) and the big maple veneer covering the body. There were probably not many instruments made - mine had ser.nr. 017.

These are the facts as far as I know whereas I live in Germany and perhaps someone in the US may have more detailed information.

Sorry if my english is a little bit bumpy.

Regards from Duisburg, Germany
    diaspar

merseymale likes this.
  4. Unique bass, that's for sure. It does sound great, though.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks so much for posting! I thought I was the only one around that remembered these basses.:) I know Michael Henderson sure made that fretless sound good.:bassist:

merseymale likes this.
  6. barryr1

barryr1

Nov 21, 2007
    Hi Diaspar

I am doing research on LoBue Guitars. Would you have a photo of your alex El Matador. I could really use it.

thanks

Barry

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah I first saw one on the back cover of Michael Henderson's Wide Reciever album, didn't know what it was but those circular pickups used to look cool, later on I thought it was a Jaydee but I was wrong.

8. DavidE

DavidE

Feb 7, 2010
    Yup, I remember Alex Axe guitars at Alex Music on 48th Street in Manhatten. Didn't pay attention to the basses back then.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021