Alex Scholnick/TSO

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Hey folks,

Went on what is apparently going to be a regular yearly excursion to witness a Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas show (second time I got "dragged" there by fam). For the "Eastern" portion of the tour schedule (there's two simultaneous touring units, East and West) they have Alex Scholnick as one of the guitarists... I've read of his reputation in guitar magazines since his time in Testament but this is my first time actually hearing him... and you know what?

Alex Scholnick has got to be the most OVERRATED guitarist in the past thirty years of recorded music. For the entire night he sounded like a goddamn bumblebee on methamphetamines. Ugggh. Why do some people consider THAT to be great guitar playing?
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I really dug his work in Savatage, very bluesy.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I liked his stuff in ADD. Never heard the Tranny Siberian Orchestra. I thought some of his guitar solo's in the last couple of Testament albums were quite wanky though.
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've been to see TSO in each of the last two years (not this one yet), and he appeared in the first. I thought he sounded great, and his playing was very tasteful. I wonder if he's got a different setup, or maybe just a different sound guy. Either way, he was on the money at that time.
  5. He ruled in Attention Deficit.

Tim Alexander did some guitar on that album. And Mr. Manring was on it too.