Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alex sklaervski slap technique...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    ...i cant get it...

I tr to hold my hand like he does but i just cant, my thumb is pointing more downwards while his thumb is pointing more upwards..

I try to have my hand lower but the n i mute the strings..

Does this mean my slap technique sucks? :(

It works but it doesn' look as good as when he does it.

Also, i hear how people talk about doulbe-thumping but he's not showing it in his video, and people call it the bible of slap.

I thought you had to double thump to be good but he showed me i was wrong.

2. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    the key to getting your hand in the "hitch hiker" position, with the thumb up, and the arm parallel to the strings, is to raise the instrument up. If you normally position the bass below your waist, it ain't gonna happen.

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Okay but im sitting down and it still doesn't look right..

I can have it nice looking when i do a slap but when i pop my thumb is pointing to the ground...

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I deffinately wouldnt call double thumping "the bible of slap" I have heard tons of awesome bassists that dont use it , but eitherway its still a good thing to learn

5. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    sounds like your right elbow is too high. It should be almost level with the bridge of your bass, with your forearm parallel to the strings.

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I meant that "the slap bass program" is called the bible of slap.

7. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    That video owns. I just remembered how much I owe to that vid. I still havn't mastered everything on that vid, but I reckon I will go back to the woodshed with it. In fact, I'm going back to the woodshed on everything in general, particularily theory. Anyone know some good sites for an introduvtion to theory?

8. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    Does it has DVD version? I really hate VHS...

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Nope, unfortunantly, only on VHS and only PAL I think.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    i think i figured it out!

i have to keep my arm "under" the bridge and have my thump over, i still cant adjust my strap much enough to be able to do it though.

11. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    i found that commercially available straps are way too long, so i determined what the correct length should be, and had my strap custom made at a leather shop. It cost about $30, and i never have to worry about adjusting it. Since it's not adjustable, my bass is always at the right height.

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    wait, i cant rest my thumb when i play like this, is it supposed to be like that?

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right, you aren't supposed to rest your thumb when slapping.

I basically use my rear forearm - elbow area and anchor on the end of my bass and the rest of my arm floats while my wrist snaps.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I actually play with a floating thumb for that reason. If your thumb is anchored on a rest or pickup, it takes time to move your hand position to a comfortable slap position. If you dont anchor your thumb and learn to play like that, you gain a couple of benifits. You wont have to change position to change styles, that includes fingerstyle, slap, flamenco plucking, double stops on chords, all kinds of things, your hand is in the right position. You can also use your thumb as a mute as well on the strings below those your are playing.

You might look more into that technique in this forum if your interested in learning it. It takes some time to get used too, but I think it makes for bettery economy of movement and allows a greater range of styles to change between in short time.

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very well said!