Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alex Sklarevski's "Slap Bass Program"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Jan 25, 2004.

1. I was wondering how good this video actually is since I'm working (sort of)on double thumping.I really need to clean up my slapping so I'm looking for a good video/book.

If anyone can recommend other good sources for slapping please reply. All help is welcome.

2. victor wooten, the man himself who came up with the double thumbing, has a video that he did around '93 or something, called superior bass technique or something like that. He goes into all that double thumbing, tapping, and he also plays a shorter version of "Classical Thump". Definately a good video, it got my double thumbing chops up to par in no time.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    !!!!!

come on mike

Victor Wooten != create double thumb!

he fleshed it out and made it popular, but, if I'm not mistaken, louis johnson was doing it way back in the day.

on top of that, Victor didn't even come up with it on his own, that credit goes to his brother Regi, the GUITAR player :p

But yeah, 'super bass solo techniques' is a pretty good video, also 'live at bass day '98' is very good, it's more recent, and you get to see vic perform an hour long set, then there is a Q&A about technique and stuff, and there is an hour long interview in the end where he goes over some stuff.

4. What do you think is better out of the two then ?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i had the wooten one (i lost it and miss it). i also have the sklarevski's vid and the louis johnson - get all three. IMO, all three are very, very important. i just hope one day MMiller will come out with one.

6. Ok I will then. Does anyone happen to know where online I can purchase these fine videos :) ?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hold on, i think i know a place...

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    http://www.audiophileimports.com/

this may be the place - if they don't have the videos, they have other stuff that you are going to want. you can even search for sidemen on albums - which is most important to me.

;)

9. Thanks. Too many things to search through, this will take a while.

Well. I found 'live at bass day '98'. The search continues !

Also got Slap Bass Program at musicroom.com

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Stu Hamm has a couple of instructional videos out that are pretty helpful. Nothing on "Double thumbing" though. The Victor video is a must have IMO. Regi is the s*** in that! :cool:

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The video is called Super Bass Solo Technique, Rittor Music (CPP Media), VH0186

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think you can still get 'super bass solo technique' at Bass Central. fyi

13. I'm thinking musicroom.com is a UK site. It's like $40-50 for a video.

Thanks for the replies

14. vic is also in a new drum collectice video. He plays with steve smith and felix pastorious is his guest for his set. A must see for any vic and jaco fan.

15. Actually if you want to get technical, Wooten says in his bass day 98 interview that his brother suggested it to him because vic was having a hard time doing a bouncy Larry Graham bass line just by thumping, so Regi told vic to try and thump and pluck to get that "pulsy" feel. So maybe Regi came up with the idea, but from what vic says, it sounds like hes the one that started it on the bass. But all this technicality doesnt matter, what matters is that vic is great at it and hes known for it, so any of his videos would greatly help somone wanting to learn that technique.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya know those cats he mentions in that interview, he says something like "yeah, and these guys around where I lived they could all do these triplets with bouncing their thumb, and I could never do that...yadda yadda"

well those two guys he was talking about showed up to wootcamp and gave about an hours worth of performance. It was something else man! these guys were sickly with the chops, and no double-thumb either. it was really wild.

Roy Vogt was one of them, but I can't remember the other dudes name....John billings! .he was the most impressive imo, had staggering chops, but also really creative and original grooves.

It's so neat how just when you think you've seen it all, there always seems to be someone else doing something you ain't seen yet.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Sklarevski video is devoid of double-thumping content, as it is BWE (before Wooten era).

18. I'm also looking into cleaning my plain slap technique also :p

19. Wow this ia real pain in the arse finding these ...

20. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    I just snagged a copy on Ebay for 25.00$ shipped! :bassist::ninja: