Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alex webster. Best speed metal bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im just trying to think of some one that can display as much skill as him in that realm. I dont want to use the term black or death metal as I find those terms limiting. The bassist for dimmu that sings and sang for borknagar is also extremly talented.

Edit. If you dont alex webster plays for the band Cannibal corpse.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yup, these dudes are all mentioned on that site, wonderfull site, helped me discovering a whole lotta new bassists, and bands too! Shame that its going down...

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like how Jaco, Manring, and Gary Willis are "BASSISTS OF DEATH!" :bassist: :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yes, Alex is the best speed metal bassist!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

7. Yeah, Cryptopsy is badass.

8. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    And just for reference, there's no such thing as speed metal. :bag:

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    [​IMG]
    Alex Webster changed from Modulus to Spector basses btw.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Are you sure? I saw them just a couple of weeks ago and he was still using his black Modulus...

He's been using Spectors as well for quite a while now.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    In an interview he said he prefers to play his Modulus basses live, but he used a Spector for the latest CD. That picture looks like a studio shot.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    This is a little outdated but here ya go!!

From the official webpage:

Alex uses:
    Amps: SVT 4 Pro. My SVT 200T is finally being retired after ten years, but I still have it as back up. My cabinets are the classic Ampeg 8x10.

Basses: Two Modulus Quantum 5 five string basses with EMG pickups. These are the two I bring on tour, but I also own a few other basses, including: An Ibanez SR 1500, an Ibanez SB900, two Fender P-basses, a Modulus Sonic Hammer, and a Modulus Quantum 5 with a granadillo fretboard.

Strings: DR High Beams, 125 to 45.

Other stuff: I use cloth guitar straps with Dunlop strap locks. I never use effects live, but sometimes in the studio I use a Sans Amp bass driver DI in addition to my amp's signal, to blend in a very slight distortion, to recreate the "live" feel.

Gear used by Alex Webster on each Cannibal Corpse recording:

Eaten Back To Life: 1987 Fender Precision bass, a Gallien Krueger head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Butchered at Birth: 1987 Fender Precision bass, Gallien Krueger head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Tomb of The Mutilated: Ibanez SB900(Sabre) bass, Trace Elliott head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Hammer Smashed Face EP, cover songs: Ibanez SB900(Sabre) bass, Peavey Mark 4 head, Peavey 2x15 cabinet.

The Bleeding: Ibanez SR1500 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Vile: Spector NS USA 5 String bass(for songs tuned to Bb), 70's Fender Precision bass(for songs tuned to Db), Ampeg SVT Classic Head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Gallery of Suicide: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Bloodthirst: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet, Sans Amp bass driver DI.

Live Cannibalism: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Gore Obessed: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Cover songs for box set: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet, Sans Amp bass driver DI.

NOTES: I recently acquired an excellent Spector Euro 5 string bass, the Spector I used on Vile was a rental from a local music store in Tampa. American made Spectors like the one I used on Vile are amazing basses, but are a little out of my price range, hence the rental. The Euro Spectors are built to the same specs as the USA models, but are more reasonably priced. I can't wait to try it out on the new album.

You'll notice I didn't list strings on the album gear list, that's because I'm not entirely sure which kind of strings I used on some of the earlier recordings. I've used DR strings on all of the recordings starting with "Gallery of Suicide". I know for sure that I used Blue Steel strings on "The Bleeding", and I'm pretty sure I used PGR strings on the "Hammer Smashed Face" EP. I think I used Rotosound strings for the first two albums.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:eyebrow:

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    The term speed metal would cover virtually all forms of metal, and lump them together into one group, making them harder to define. Unless you don't mean speed metal as a genre, so much as a description. In which case you may carry on.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I take speed metal to mean fast-as-hell playing. And Alex is tough to beat with that 3 finger technique of his.

16. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    But the majority of metal is fast as hell. Death metal, power metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, grind, math etc. are all insanely fast(most of the time). To use speed metal as a genre pretty much destroys all subgenres of metal(with the excpetion of doom, as from what I've heard of it, it is all pretty slow).

But if you really want to go deep into it, thrash metal is/was the original speed metal, with bands like Megadeth and Slayer at the forefront. Gradually, as more and more fast playing bands emerged with different styles, new genres were born, as opposed to labeling them all "speed metal"

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks for the insight SMASH

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Umm..All I see in that pic is "image hosted by Anglefire".

19. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That's better :bassist:

And that ladies, and gentlemen, is the origin of the term "speed metal". :p

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again

genres = B.S.

Oh, and on topic: Alex Webster is awesome.