Alex Webster's tone.. just a couple questions (thnx)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Boozy, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, i would simply ask "how does Alex Webster get that knocky-mid tone?".. but i'm sure it is multiple things.. however, maybe someone can help me..

i have found (researched) that he has achieved this tone with an svt 200t (solid state head) - for sure
    his modulus quantum 5 - for sure
    and possibly a p-bass and/or warwick.. probably using ampeg 8x10 svt classic cab(s)..

is that knocky sounding mid frequency achieved with the SVT 200T???

if you know cannibal then you know the tone i am referring to.. how the heck do i get that tone?

if it is the svt, can that tone be achieved with a jazz bass? p-bass? stingray? (my stingray?)..

do i need barts? emg's? money for a modulus?

can anyone HELP me?

thanks so much.

cheers & beers.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think his trick is to get lost in the mix most of the time. :D
  3. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, i got a sansamp bddi and i guess i can get pretty close to that tone with my stingray...

what i like about his tone, probably isnt as much "his tone" as it is the way his tone sounds in the mix..

similar to my tone in that i love the way it sounds in the mix (from where i stand anyways) but i dont really like the way it sounds (while the settings are the same) solo or with the guitar un-distorted... i guess thats why we have pedals...

it's that knocky sound that i hear cutting through when i listen to cannibal that i love..

thanks for the replies all, muchly appreciated :)

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd bet a lot of it has to do with the Modulus sound through an Ampeg rig. If you threw a Modulus into your rig, you'd probably get a lot closer to that "knocking sound."

And, as previously stated, he plays pretty hard, which would also contribute to the sound, which might be the sound of the strings hitting the frets when he fingers the note. It produces a clack that's pretty hard to miss (Tuning to A and G below B, I'm pretty familiar with that "clack" which can actually sound musical, despite the injustice Fieldy bestows upon it)
  5. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry to resurrect an Old thread but in all the research i have done all i have ever seen him play were tube amps. On most US tours he uses an SVT Classic and on overseas tours he usually hires a Classic or an SVT-2 PRO. Like the one in the attached picture.