1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alexander Gasper violin maker

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steven_blues, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Hi,

I've finally buy a full carved 3/4 double bass.:D I want to know some info about the guy who build this intrument. The tag inside the bass say ALEXANDER GASPER BUDAPEST.

If you got some informations, let me know,

Steven

2. The double bass look like used with some scratch and dents. I'm not really a expert in double bass but some minor replair as been performed. This upright bass look like rustic if you compare to brand new ones. The keys seem to be new and probably be replaced. The fingerboard is real ebony. Old style finish like grand Ma wood furniture. I'll post some pictures soon.

The thing to do right now is getting a teacher! :bassist:

3. This is a picture of the bass, If you know some info about the maker, let me know.

Steven

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Karel Jalovec wrote a book on the Hungarian makers. I don't have that one, but I do have his two volume Encyclopedia of Violin Makers which was published in 1968. Alexander Gasper is not listed in this book either. I would (also) guess that this bass (if the label is authentic) was made in the second half of the 20th century.

5. I received a message today from a workshop of violin about my bass. He say this name is a trade mark from Hungary. The Bass was build in Budapest and probably newer than he look like. Somes Violins of this brand was recently sold around 2K-3K.

The quality, action and sound of this bass is excellent according to a reputable local luthier. Maybe this bass is not a old vintage instrument, but i feel i get a incredible deal on a full carved double bass.:D

6. spdrswb

spdrswb

May 26, 2005
    Dear All,

Just to let you know, there is no HU name like this.
    The peer for Alexander would be Sandor (Sándor) and Gasper is something like Gaspar (Gáspár). OK, so either he is an Austrian immigrant to Budapest, or he converted his own name to something more readable for strangers (a habit before WW2).