Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alexander Teacher NY/NJ?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I'm interested in studying Alexander Technique.

does anyone have recommendations for a teacher in NJ or NY?

Cheers,

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Amy Brimmer (718) 788-5357, (917) 216-5850

She has a place in Manhattan where she teaches.

3. Ray,
    Do you have a contact for Chicago? Preferably a musician?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not exactly, but there is a bass player there that might be able to point you somehow. No number for him, but he shouldn't be too hard to find. Look for Chris Giles. He's about 6'6" with a full beard -- kinda looks like Chewbacca. He dabbles in the medical field from time to time (respitory therapist or something) and would likely have the resources to hook you up.

5. I've saw him a few nights ago and said hello. He plays with John Wright piano trio.
    Thanks Ray.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Chris (a.k.a. Lurch) and I are both from Toledo and go way back. Do me two favors when you see him. First, tell him I said 'hey, bruz', and secondly pass along his number when you get it.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  8. Go to www.alexandertech.org
    This is THE site of the Alexander Technique in the US
    They provide a geographic teacher listing.
    You absolutely do NOT need a teacher who is a musician. I have experience with at least 6 teachers, one of whom is a string player in the NY Philharmonic. I stand by my statement. I will go further and say that my best results were with a non-musician, because she observed me with no preconceptions whatsoever, and got to the heart of my problems immediately. NYC is a huge AT arena, and most musicians do not have teachers who are musicians. The principles of AT are universal and not vocation-specific.
    Incidentally, in January I begin classes to earn certification as an AT teacher.

9. See above response for a teacher listing. Since you are in my area, I may be able to help you with specific names. e-mail me any time.

If either you or Pete want to discuss AT, I can give you my 800 number.