Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alexis Sklarevski Slap Bass Program-info please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OkieBassist65, Aug 28, 2005.

1. I've been looking into purchasing Alexis Sklarevski's Slap Bass Program Video from Video Progressions.
    My question: Is there a book that comes with this video?
    There appears to be book samples on the web site, and there appears to be screenshots that reference an example and page number, but I so far I have not seen any reference to a book included with this video. I also recall finding a thread on ebay advertising the sale of the instruction book for this vid.

Thanks in advance

2. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    There's a small booklet that comes with the video. Or at least there was a number of years ago when I borrowed the tape from a friend.

3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I have this video. Yeah, it has a booklet. It's in standard notation, not tab though. I highly recommend this video, it did my slapping a world of good.

4. Thank you all very much, this will help me make an educated buying decision. I appreciate it.

5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I was going to say immediately that Yes there was a booklet to go with the tape, but when I went back to the tape, I couldn't find a booklet to go with it.This could be me though, as I have had the tape for years.
    I do highly recommend the video though, Alexis is an EXCELLANT teacher.He has taught at Musiciand institute for a long time now and he starts the tape off as if you know nothing about slap, but by the end he works through machinegun triplets, and a bolero style playing.The tape is one of the best for slap.
    I would go to video progressions, or musicians institute directly and check for the book though.He is such a great teacher though that I can't believe that there is not a book.I will look through all of my "collection" and try to find it.I will get back to you. Go for the DVD though.They only had VCR tapes when I first got it, but now he has a DVD. Good luck! You will love it!

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Another +1 for it. I haven't watched it in a few years, but it is a great slapping resource. I especially love how they have camera angles that look over his shoulder so you can really see what the right hand is doing.

If you can get past the cheesy outdated fusion music, you can't go wrong with the video :)

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    In the mid 90's, this video was rated as one of the instructional video for slap bass.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    are you sure it is on DVD also? Where I could get it?
    Thanks

M

9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes Maurillo, it is available on DVD. I spoke with a woman at Musicians institute about a year ago and she said that they were putting it on DVD at that time, so I assume(I know) that it is available by now.If video progressions doesn't advertise it, email or call musicians institute in L.A. and they will be able to get you a copy.
    If they don't have it on DVD by now, I'll send you my vhs copy (and I'll look for the booklet in the meantime).

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey there,
    thank you very much, but I already have the vhs!
    BTW, I'm an instructor at the Musicians Institute... sorry for not mentioning it before.
    I've asked Alexis about it, today. David Schaub (the producer) is working on the DVD, but at the moment it's still not available.... I want the DVD me too, but looks like we have to wait a little more.
    Have a good week

Mo'

11. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Boy , don't I feel silly.Thanks for that info Mo'
    BTW , My friend Ed Finn teaches guitar there, please say hi to him for me.I was also a friend of Scott Henderson before he became the "Guitar God", but I'll bet he doesn't remember me.
    Did you ever find that bag for your THUNDERFUNK yet?
    I had gotten one from Dave a year or so, but I found a carrying bag at ROSS of all places, that would have been perfect for the amp and a few acessories for $19.99, believe it or not. So if you haven't gotten a bag yet, try some of the discount stores in the luggage departments, they have padded bags that are incredible. Have a good one.
    P.S. My name is actually Tony in case you speak to Ed, the Mel thing was an old '50's character I did during the Sha-Na-Na era.

12. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi Tony,
    don't worry, there's no problem.
    Is your last name Monihan?
    I see Ed almost every day. Scott, too.
    You know, the bag I found in Musician's friend (Gismo?sp?), is working wonderfully. Somebody was saying it's not strong enough, I have to disagree! Like everything, if you want it to last, you have to take care of it and not abuse it!
    I'll say hi to Ed, Wednesday.
    ASAP I know something about the DVD, I'll post here.
    Take care

Mo'

13. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Thank you Mo', My Name is Tony Marchese, Ed and I go way back.Say hi to everyone for me. Tony