Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alexis Sklarevski Slap Bass video question: Thumb/pluck on same string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DLM, Feb 23, 2006.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    On Alex Sklarevski's Slap Bass video, he demonstrates the technique of slapping with the thumb and plucking with the index finger on the same string. He equates this to a type of "picking" action that can be very useful when pedaling specific notes.

Although he demonstrates this technique from a pure practice standpoint, he doesn't show any examples of how this technique can be useful in a musical context.

Can any of you suggest ways in using this technique in a musical fashion? Thanks.

2. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    I'm not sure it's exactly the same technique, but what you're describing sounds like a technique that could be used to play melodic figures with notes on the same string.

More like what you might expect someone to do in finger style playing or with a pick.

It would allow you to play a melodic figure, but with the attack of slap style.

I'm not sure if Alex had that in mind at the time, but more recently players like Victor Wooten are using a similar technique this way.

Tony

3. I have been looking into Slap bass techniques and am having a bit of problems, I really need a complete techniques layout video and picture, can you help?

4. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
  5. Yeah thanks, if it wouldn't be to much trouble could you checkout www.cyberschoolofbass.com? its a site run by Bunny Brunell (he wrote slap bass essentials and some other books) could you check out the slap bass lessons/videos and elaborate. Sorry for asking so much but im really stuck.

6. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    I never noticed this site before. There seem to be quite a few lessons there on a variety of subjects including 2 brief lessons on slap.

I'm not sure what you're asking me to do. If you're looking for more detailed Slap lessons you might want to find a teacher in your area. Are you studying bass with a teacher?

As far as my concept of slap bass playing, that's pretty much laid out in my book Slap It!, but as of this moment I've never created a video detailing my technique (which is slightly different than some others out there). I hope to do this as part of a new web site I'm working on these days. We'll see...

Cheers!

Tony

7. thats great, good luck. No i dont get lessons and i know i should. The slap method i have learned from others is a hit the string directly from above and then recoil, thus moving the string. In those lessons it suggests that you hit the string on an angle and then continue through and finish on the next string, can you elaborate?

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've always thought that was the kind of the Alain Caron was doing with his slapping. Might be worth checking him out - even if he's not doing exactly that, it will give you a fair approximation of his sound.

9. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks, SMASH.

I'm aware of this video, and although Wooten's technique is different than Sklarevski's, it pretty much gets the same result.

My problem is that I don't know how to make this musical in a funky way. Any ideas?