1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alice in chains would? bass tone: How to get it without a Spector bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cheche32, Oct 23, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    I play with a Fender precision MIM and a ampeg ba300-115 and a Sansamp. How can I get closer to that tone without having to buy a new bass

Thanks.

2. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Use a pick. Of course, this will only get you so far, as a P-Bass is an entirely different beast compared to a Spector. Start saving! ;)

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    P isn't even in the same tonal world as the badass NS-2. Save up for a Spector PJ and you'll get there.

4. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Agreed..... I used to play that with my G&L and just couldn't get that tone. Now I have a Spector NS2A and can get damn close with the tech 21 BDDI. With my Ampeg SVP-Pro it's almost spot on. If that's the tone you want look at some Spectors with the PJ pup config. Even the Legend with a tonepump will get you close.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    For a while I was bi-amping my P/J bass with a slightly overdriven Orange guitar amp and I got very close to that tone with a pick. Just a P pickup won't get you there unfortunately, but you can get close enough with some midrange eqing.

6. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    You can absolutely sound like Would on almost any bass. It's techinique and where you have your right hand, no ? I bet you can come so close, it's not even funny.