Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alice in Chains

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 2, 2006.

1. *sigh* I love them. Its a shame that they are no more. They really had their own sound. As I saw on TV somewhere they were described as "hard rocking dudes who arn't afraid to harmonize" I thought it was a fitting description.

So what do you think of this crazy band?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think they rock, but I would not call them crazy.

Did you ever see them live?

-Mike

3. Well besides the unplugged performance i would have had to been about 2 years old.

They are one of those numerous bands that were before my time that i would love to see live.

4. I saw the Cardboard Vampyres last year or the year before. That's the closest I've come to seeing AIC. I wasn't too much of a fan while they were still around. Somewhere around 97 I figured it out.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Alright, I can't believe that this would be true, but....

Yesterday, I was listening to Alternative Nation on Sirius radio, and the announcer starts talking about a rumor he's been hearing about AIC. That they're talking about finding a new lead singer 'ala INXS-style... on a reality TV show.

I find it very hard to believe, but was wondering if any of you have heard the same or if this DJ's just a j@ck@ss:mad: .

Oh, I love AIC:bassist:

6. Stole this from wikipedia.

"On March 10, 2006 the surviving members of Alice in Chains with guest vocalist William DuVall from Comes With the Fall will be performing at the VH1 Decades Rock Live! concert honoring Seattle rockers Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart. According to the official Jerry Cantrell website, Alice in Chains has also been confirmed to be playing at several festivals across Europe this summer including the Nova Rock festival in Austria, Rock am Ring in Germany, Rock im Park also in Germany, Milan Gods of Metal in Italy, Donington Park Download Festival in England, and the RDS Download Festival in Ireland. It is unknown at this time who will be the guest vocalist for the European festivals."

7. If AIC does get back together, the last place to find a new singer is reality TV:scowl:

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure about a "new" Alice In Chains, but as for the real deal, they were one of my favorite bands....and still are. I saw them open for Van Halen during their first go-round in support of "For Unlawful.." and they rocked. I discinctly remember the feeling of being so intrigued and blown away that I "literally" ran out and bought the record the next day! :D

9. I grew up with AIC. I've seen them in concert and they put on a great show. One of my all time favorite bands!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice Jay. I saw them on the same tour when it stopped in Tacoma.

During their set, Mike Inez hucked his bass in the air, and on the way down it hit is leg and knocked him down. It also opened up a big gash down by his calf. He played the last couple songs lying on his back.

The best AIC gig ever was a show at the Evergreen State College with Gruntruck and Green Apple Quickstep in '92.

-Mike

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL

Boy, am I envious of your geograhic location! Around that time (early '90s), I managed to virtually disappear from live shows for about 4 years or so. I think it was called "college", except when most kids are seeing shows 6 nights a week, I didn't, for whatever reason. I could only IMAGINE what it must have been like to have had access to the Washtington State scene around '89-'93!!! Who-ah! :smug: :hyper:

12. JPJ you bumbling fool! I dream of being in your situation at "college" and seeing all those amazing bands.

13. AIC was one of the greatest bands ever. (I havn't heard any of their music since Layne)

14. They rock. I like Cantrell's Degradation Trip album too.

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    The first time I saw them was "Clash of the Titans" tour with AIC, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer(who just ruled the night).

I saw them two more times, and as much as I love AIC,
    they never did much for me live:bag:

The music sounded great but the energy was kind of lacking every time. I saw them up in Detroit once, so you can't blame it on boring ole Indiana:D

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "jar of flies" is their best, easily.

the "i stay away" video creeped the hell out of me when i was a kid.

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't necessairily agree. J.D. Fortune has been quite successful as INXS's new frontman. He is said to have added new life to the band. They just played in Boca Raton last week to a sold out crowd. The Palm Beach Post's music critic was very impressed.

Not only that, INXS is touring with the runner up Marty Casey as the opening act and he is being well received too.

I'm not saying the "Rock Star" competition would be ideal for every band and might not produce a viable frontman, but in the case of INXS it certainly did. Plus eight to ten weeks of publicity during the competition couldn't hurt a band either.

I actually liked "Rock Star" a heck of a lot better than "American Idol." I've decided the problem is Idol has singers of too many different genres and a large age range that dilutes what is trying to be accomplished. That said Idol right now has an extraordinary singer, Chris Dougherty, who could easily front many rock and metal bands right today.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, it was awesome. A few of the other Puget Sound TBers can attest to it as well. I had a chance to see Nirvana and The Melvins in a grange hall outside Olympia. I saw Queensryche play an outdoor gig out by Alki Beach. Any given weekend you could see any of the heavy hitters as well as some really awesome local bands that never made it nationally.

-Mike

19. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Dude...Wow, I'm officially jealous. I've seen the Melvins many times, but not with Nirvana.

Oh yes...AIC was great. +1 on Jar of Flies, I also really like Dirt and Sap.