Alice in chains

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Paolo, Apr 10, 2002.

1. HI

Which is the best album of Alice in Chains ?

2. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    by far, i would have to say DIRT.
  3. Even though it's only an EP, I'd say Jar of Flies. Their unplugged album is really good as well, and you get to hear some nice fretless bass work on it. I also have Facelift and Dirt, and I'd recommend them in that order.
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I dont know what you mean by "best," but many people think that Dirt is AiC's masterpiece.

Whatever happened to them anyway? I think I heard that Layne OD'd on heroin... :(
  5. XToolX

XToolX Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    Warminster, PA
    Dirt is a good album and so is Jar of Flie but if you are just checking them out I think they have a greastest hits with alot of good songs on it. I got the box set awhile ago so they have alot more songs but dirt was the best album I got from them.
  6. They're all great!

If I could only have one....I think it would be "unplugged". Or facelift....well....dirt is good too. I couldn't do it...
  7. DIRT for me. That album just floors me every time I listen to it. Dark, nihilistic and powerful. You can almost hear Layne Staley self destructing. Facelift is a little too 80's for it to claim my top AIC spot:D If you were going to get one AIC album, DIRT is their definitive one.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Dirt" gets my vote. I love the song "Rooster." "Jar of Flies" is my second favorite AiC album.
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I think Dirt was their apex. Jar of Flies and the Unplugged discs are good too.
  10. Dirt is definitely top, its just absolutely packed with quality tracks, no filler. Their Greatest Hits was a little disappointing for me, I find that their live album is a better selection of their actual greatest songs.
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i was just listening to "jar of flies" today.
    absolutely great.

"dirt" just doesn't really do it for me. i only like 3 or 4 songs on the entire disc...but i'm not a "real" metalhead anyway.

i loathe "facelift." man in the box is good...kinda. but everything else...:(

of course, IMO.
  12. Can't believe I'm the only one who's said SAP! Every song on there is good, plus you get Chris Cornell and the fat chick from Heart, great EP!
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Did the "recordings" forum get closed?

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Speaking of AiC-- Jerry Cantrell has a new single out on rock radio called "Anger Rising", I think it's pretty cool. I have no idea what happened to Layne, all I know is he's not dead yet.
  15. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Layne is definately dead now... its kinda weird that we we're just talking about him and now he's dead. I also think its kinda weird that it has been raining since I found out he died and it still is.

By the way, I have new found respect for Jar of Flies. They just played Rotten Apple on the radio last night... that is such an amazing song. The bassline is great too but its the whole thing that counts to make it such a slow, moody song.
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore snuckttt snore..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dirt and Unplugged.
  18. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I caught a brief thing on the news that said they found him dead in his house on Sat? So it is true!
    RIP Layne :(

The weird thing is my band played two AIC tunes on Friday night and we have'nt played AIC in months!

Would and Man in the box!
  19. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I'd have to say "Dirt" as well, but I personally like everything they did. Laynes death saddens me a great deal, but unfortunately, alot of people saw this coming with his addiction and all. Another great album with Layne is Mad Season. The bass on the opening track "Wake Up" is a great soulful groove.

20. Definately get SAP...hell, it's only like 7 bucks and the only filler is a hidden track!