Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alicia Keys bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 14, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone know who the brother is thumping like a mofo on the AMA's??

2. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    was that the same young black guy i saw a few years ago with her on tv- was he playing a ken smith?

3. the guy sounded amazing. When he hit a low B or (whatever detuned open note is was) its just rattled, and the tone was intense.

4. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    No, I think she has a whole new band from then. This is a different guy. I think he was playing a Warwick (even though the guy you are talkin about wound up endorsing Warwicks too). But this guy was nice.

B Easy
    Myron

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    he may be ruben rodriguez - young guy - there are a few ruben rodriguez bass players, but this one is the young one.

i was lucky enough to hang with some of the guys when they came through SA

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He was definitely a young cat! I kept looking trying to catch a glimpse of the bass he was playing and I noticed he was a short dude with curly hair and definitely looked young but damn, he had total command of his axe. I couldn't tell what bass he was playing though. I was watching another band [country or alternative, can't recall] and this big country lookin' dude is playing a six string boutique bass with a 'gasp' pick!! OMG, that is so wrong!! :D

7. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I saw that and thought the same thing.

8. I couldn't believe how up front in the mix the bass was with Alicia Keys. Usually on those telecasts, you can barely hear the bass! It was a Warwick bass and he was playing through a Warwick amp (well, cabinet at least).

9. That big tall country looking dude w/ the county woman singer. Wasn't that Keith Horn? It looked like the guy was playing a lefty Warrior bass.

Anyway Alica Keys bassist, was young short, blondish dyed hair and again his tone was killer

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's what i was thinking

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think it was him [I could be wrong though]. I've never seen Keith dress that way. He's usually dressed pretty sharp. Does Keith play with a pick? I've never seen him play with one. I think it was Gretchen Wilson's band that I'm thinking of. Or the Uncle Kracker segment.

12. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    The bassist w/ AK is Steve Rodriguez,from NYC. Ruben Rodriguez, also from NYC is a bit older.

Easy,
    -R

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Would that be you? Or you just happen to have the same name.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i knew it was a rodriguez!!

i take it you're one of them? :D

15. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Would that be you?

No, you didn't see me last night, I'm the older one I wrote about.

Peace,
    -R

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if you're the one i'm thinking of, much respect to you - you are truly are great musician - thank you for posting at TB

:)

17. I was thinking of gretchen Wilsons band. The tall dude w/ the 'doo' rag on his head. Yes Keith usually dresses sharp, but you know, how many left handed bassists who play Warrior basses out there??? :smug:
    That said I've seen keith play w this fingers, thumb, pick, the works. Don't know if it was him, but the guy had a greattone and a command of that tic-tac sound

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The tall guy with the doo rag was Toby Keith. You guys really make regret watching football during the first part of the American Music Awards!

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Toby Keith? Playing bass for Gretchen Wilson!? Hmmm...Interesting. Attached is the only pic I could find with the bassist in the background.

20. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Works for Phil Lesh. :D