Alien Ant Farm... not that Ken Lawrence question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, May 6, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey i just saw the video for "Attitude" which i think is a cool song w/ a nice little 3/4 groove.
    On the video the bassist is playing an URB, and there's no way at all that i think he could get that sound out of an URB... it sounds like straight warwick tone.... or one of those woody growly basses at least.... Anybody else notice/bothered by this? I mean not that he can't switch basses, but why play URB on a video for a song that wasn't recorded on one?

This is about the basses used in the video/song. Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies and move it.
  2. I think it's "possible" though not likely he got that from an URB. Highly "inprobable" infact, but he does play upright on the album, i think on the last track though im not sure of the number or name. So, because he CAN play URB and has recorded with it, it's fine with me.

PS On a side note, has anyone seen "Becoming...." on MTV. Does it annoy anyone else here that they always give the bassist a bass that they dont actually use. E.g "flea" using a P-Bass in "Give it Away" terrible,
  3. I saw the Blink 182 one and I was surprised they gave the kids the instruments they did. They looked like (at least the bass) pretty nice American made, I'm sure the signature models would have been cheaper (not to mention Authentic). I mean, c'mon!!! A Jazz bass for "First Date"???? That really upset me,I would have liked the kids to at least have learned the song, its not hard.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I saw AAF Play attitude live and the bassists played on an Alembic.... I don't know what he used on the recording.. but live i saw the alembic.. no doubt it was an alembic..
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Music videos are fake :rolleyes: , get used to it...:D

Also, there were probably a few bass tracks recorded for the song (including a URB track), then the tracks were mixed to get the desired sound for the song.
  6. Really!? You mean bands don't really perform on mountain tops, plugged-in on a stage in the middle of a lightning storm or while floating on an asteroid near Alpha Centauri (sp?)?

Kidding of course. Your point is valid. :)
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we do, and to sell out crowds, too. :p
  8. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    You have to remember, the powers at MTV don't know the first thing about music.

This is obvious by the programming choices that are made.

I really doubt they have someone there to say "You know this kid who wants to be Flea should really be playing a Music Man Stingray (or whatever was used on that song), not this Fender P-Bass."

That's expecting WAY too much of them! :D I'm sure they grab the closest thing around for those "video" shoots. It's amazing they can actually pick out the right type of instrument to give the kid to play, let along the right model.
  9. Well, in the Incubus episode, they did give the kid acting as Dirk a Warwick Streamer. Doubt it was the right type of Streamer, but it was a Streamer, nonetheless. :D
  10. He didn't use an upright for the song but the video has an old grainy look so that's why he used an upright. The guitarist has an old jazz hollowbody guitar. It's just to give the video a certain vibe, to get the artistic expression across. More power to them.
  11. Word.
  12. thats what I was going to say. he's definitly not using the URB in the recording.

I hope this video gets played a lot, and hopfully people will see a different side to AAF. they are probably my favorite band right now, and I think a lot of people just remember them as the "smooth criminal" band.
  13. I'm pretty sure he's using a Dave Parr custom 6 for the recordings and live. I thought it was the bass he was using in the Smooth Criminal video, but other threads on this forum seem to claim that he's using a Ken Lawrence 6. According to bass player, it's a custom bass that he designed and put together himself with the help of Dave Parr.

Using an URB in a video that has an electric on the recording (I haven't seen it so i'm just going by your assesement) is kinda like him slapping in the video to Smooth Criminal, when there's no slapping on the song. It's just to draw attention to his fat dorky a**.

14. Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    The bass player for Alien Ant Farm is named Tye
    Rumor is Tye made the body and threw in a Carvin pre-amp. All Dave did was the neck.
  15. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i read some where that he use a "dave parr 6" but i have´nt seen one!

some one here have any pictures?

by the way...what bass does he use on the "movies" video...i don´nt know if that is the name of the song, but is one in where miyagi appear on that!
  16. being the Nitpicker i am, they should of used a Wal for give it away, since BSSM was Fleas Wal period
  17. KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    I dont know far from all the songs that I have heard of theirs, the TONE of his bass is super clean(prob. due to the u5 and his basses , but for some reason i dont really like his style of bass palying...
    Can anyone recommend me a song where he rips it up
  18. Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    In the video for "movies" he uses the Tye/Dave Parr made 6 string bass
  19. In the video for "Sinister Minister", Vic is shown playing a string bass, when it's clearly an electric on the recording. I know they don't show "Sinister Minister" too often on MTV anyway.
  20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Originally posted by Sofo

Really!? You mean bands don't really perform on mountain tops, plugged-in on a stage in the middle of a lightning storm or while floating on an asteroid near Alpha Centauri (sp?)?

we do, and to sell out crowds, too.

Wow!:eek: Rock!:D

When I saw them last August he used the Dave Parr, a Kenneth Lawrence and an Alembic. Mostly it was the Lawrence.