Alien Ant Farm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman192, Aug 15, 2001.

1. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    i've got two questions.

1. What kind of bass is the bassist from Alien Ant Farm playing in either of their videos? It's beautiful.

2. I'm a lefty... which companies make left handed five and six string basses?

2. The bassist from AAF (whose name escapes me at the moment) is playing a custom made Dave Parr 6 string. Dave Parr was apparently a local luthier/repairman from the bassists hometown, and he and the bassist both worked on making the bass of his dreams. I doubt mortals like us could get our hands on one, but you're right; they are beautiful.

About lefty 5- and 6-strings: just about all the better companies make them.
  3. bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    i'll take your word on it, but could you direct me then to some good companys? it seems that in my quest for lefty instruments all i find is crap with strings. my first ibanez had to be sent to ibanez 3 times for least it had a warranty though. thanks.
  4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    id talk to dave pushic , from i have no experince form playing one of his basses, but hes a great guy to talk to , very knowledgeable(sp?) too. and you could probably get a custom instrument from him, cheaper than a manfactured one.. depending on what your looking for in a bass.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is that what it was? Looked like a Ken Lawrence Brase to me, but I didn't get a good look at the headstock. Great video, though.
  6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA

lol :D
  7. I dunno who the Alien Ants are, so I can't help you there. But I am a lefty so...

How much are you looking to spend? Carvin might be worth a look if you're into the mail order thing. They're inexpensive for the quality, their 6 strings can be a thing of beauty depending on the options you choose, and I believe there's no charge for left handed.

You can get a lefty music Man Stingray 5 for right around $1200.

Check the used market. Some good deals come up on ebay from time to time (caveat emptor) and check local music stores/want ads.
  8. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Carvin makes a lefty 6, Warwick might and DP prolly makes that model in a lefty. Well they better or that's another place to riot at.
  9. Yea.. looks a whole lot like a Ken Lawrence.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He uses a Dave Parr (no clue who he is) 6 i guess he helped make, too, in the "Movies" video, and a Kenneth Lawrence Brase 6 in the "Smooth Criminal" video. I love the Brase's.
  11. In his interview in this month's BP, Tye (don't remember his surname) says that the zebrawood-topped neck-through 6 he often plays onstage was built mostly by himself with some assistance from Dave Parr. I'd say that he has some pretty fierce woodworking and luthiery skills to build a bass that nice.
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, yeah, if I could make something like that, I'd never buy any bass! Of course, I wouldn't use a Carvin preamp or a Wilkinson bridge! :D
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth!
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga