Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alittle primus help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by warwickben, Mar 31, 2002.

1. i have been wacthing the second primus video ,mainly tommy the cat,the main line he plays in the video is the same line in the primus tab book.i got most of the bass line down but i not sure what fingers to use on one part.

the part is
    g--------------------
    d------5---5---5---0-
    a--------------------
    3----5---4---3---0---

can you tell me what fingers to use i been trying for a week.

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Id use my pinky on the high G's, and then for that A (on E) Id use my third finger, the G# with my second, and the G with my first.

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    instead of 'popping' the G on the D string, try popping open G this is a bit easier on the hands and then its just a case of thumb, pop, thumb, pop etc.

g------0---0---0-------
    d------------------0-
    a--------------------
    3----5---4---3---0---

4. thanks for the help does any one know if this is the right way to play tommy the cat.i know its been redone like 3 or 4 times.i iam going by the tab that is in the primus tab book . ill i want to know how to play is the main bass line so me and the drummer can play this song live.

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Well I know that the other part of riff (the part you didnt ask about) is right. And I think that the part you asked about is right too, cause I watched Videoplasty in slow-mo and he was doing that part pretty similar to what the book says.

6. i did the same thing wacthing the video paused going frame by frame. i cant get that part of the riff to sound right.

7. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Which part? The one you asked about?

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I could never get that part right either. I think its usually covered up by the double bass drum notes (atleast on the Seas of Cheese recording) whenever I play it, I just skip that part (the part you asked about)

9. so what you just dont play any thing,if so how long do you wait to play.

also do you think it be a good idea to slap the bass drum beat there.