All About Knockoffs/Copies!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 21, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    This thread is all about knockoffs and copies. Anything from OLP to SX to Dillion and beyond. Name any copies you have and any comments on brands you'd like to try out.

I have only one specific question that anyone can comment on. Anybody know of a Status Buzzard Bass knockoff? $5000 is a bit pricy for just about everyone.

2. I wonder if a custom guy would bewilling to build a 'buzzard'- or if there were legal issues(copyright). Personally I think they're so ugly that they make nearly any other bass look good by comparison, but whatever tickles your trussrod.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used to have an SX, wasnt bad.
  4. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I used to have a Hondo guitar(I know its a dirty word).
    It was a copy of a Martin HD41 and this guitar was amazing.
    Unreal volume and sound out of that guitar. The guitar was older when hondo made their stuff in Japan. Now they make almost everything in china........

5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Not necessarily, but most knockoffs are cheaper than originals. I got my friend an SX Jazz Bass for her birthday (with help from others) and it's not the best when it comes to playability. I haven't taken it to get set up, but I think I got a sub-par neck. The tone of the stock pickups is very full and very boomy. It's got a very vintage slap tone. I think with an aftermarket neck and a proper set up it could very well be worth it for anyone.

It would still cost less than $200 with an aftermarket neck and that's an incredible price.

P.S. - Buzzards are for a small selection of music and playing styles. But for someone like John Entwhistle and his playing style, it was perfect and super bad ass.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had a Raven EB-3 copy. It was pure junk. So is the Frescher violin bass copy I have (and never play). I'm not a huge fan of knock-offs though I have seena few that were decent, such as the SX and some of the early Yamaha's.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had a Stagg Rickenbacker clone that was a certified, grade-A POS.

I have a Brice 5-string fretless J-bass that's actually quite nice. Once I get some new pickups for it, it'll be all set. Even the hardware is surprisingly good.

Used to own a Dillion MM copy that was well made, but passive. I would like to try out a Dillion Geddy Lee copy.

I have a Frankenfender that I've put together that is QUITE sweet. I need to get pics of this bad boy and post 'em.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Own a SX Jazz - Love it to death...
  9. interesting thread.

was in the guitar shop the other day with the guitarist and we were looking at a Blade straight-ahead Stratocaster copy. They wanted almost $3000AUD for it.

Prompted the guitarist to ask the question - why wouldn't you just buy a MIA Fender?
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because sometimes copies are better than originals, cough Sadowsky
  11. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Right now, I'm playing exclusively an SX SPJ-62 (P and J pickups, precision body with a narrower jazz-like neck).. At first it was an economics issue, but after dropping some DiMarzio pickups into it and resoldering everything I prefer the sound over some higher end basses I've heard. It needed a setup, which I did myself. Strings are 3/32 at the 17th fret which is perfect for me. Sanded the neck just a bit to give it a smooth satin feel and threw some Fender flats on it.. Some other nit-picky little things, and all-in-all I've got a bass that I can't put down now. I love the thing. Now that cashflow is better I'm more worried about adding another cab or buying pedals but a new bass is not at the top of the list... I love my SX :)
  12. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    My SX BG-180 TM. It sounds pretty good right now with the stock. I'm planning to put in some Dimarzios, new bridge, new tuners. Who knew I could love a 150 dollar bass so much.
  13. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    im thinking of picking up a sx jazz.....but i would like to go without a pg on this the route around the pickups too large to do this...because i do believe the newer fender routes are too large to do this?
  14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Does building one count? I plan on building me a knock-off real soon seeing as I can't find the real thing.:crying: I won't mention what it is as nobody likes them around here. It will be built better than the original though.
    EDIT: Disregard all the above as I actually just now scored one on Ebay! :D :hyper: :bassist: :smug:

I think knock-offs are cool if they are built well.
  15. dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    i have an ibanez ric copy. i also have the ric it is a copy of (4001). i can tell the difference but ibanez did a heckuva job with it none the less. the pickups are stereo, though i never use them that way. for that matter i use the original more anyway.
  16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I bought a 1968 Goya J-knockoff from the 'bay about 5 months ago with the intention of stripping it completely and changing everything. After getting the bass, I am so tremendously impressed with the quality of the construction and the amazing quality of the neck that all I'm doing is changing out the pups ..... everything else stays the same.

This bass is easily on a par with my old 62' Fender J .... pics as soon as I get the pups in, I promise :)
  17. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a 1981 Hondo LongHorn bass. It is a copy of the Dan Electro longhorn. I love it. I bought it brand new in 1982 and still have it. It was the third bass I had ever owned.Since then, I have had 4 others, but have only kept this one. This is a pic of my 1982 Hondo Longhorn. I just sold it last year to fund my Modulus.
  19. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    How about Jay Turser. They are nothing but copies. My only knockoff is a Turser Beatle Bass, and it is a total and complete bargain for around $200. It is extremely fun to play, and really nails the hollowbody, deep sound of the Hofner violin bass.

The area it is lacking in is the upper half of the fretboard; sort of dull up there, probably due to the short scale and hollowbody---not to its cheap pricetag. The lower half is fantastic---one of the best knockoffs out there, in my opinion.

Fit, finish and playability is better than the others in its price range, such as Rogue, SX and Squier, in my opinion.
  20. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Had a Brice Douglas 5 (Marcus Miller copy). For the money it was a GREAT BASS! Wish I never modded/sold it. Oh well....