1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All about the sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PDGood, Oct 12, 2010.

1. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Seems to me like every time I go to the store every bass I pull down to play sounds like a variation of something that has already been done.
    You've got your Fender sounds - P & J, Rick, Hofner, boutique (low mid growly bass), EB0, and that group of thumpy hollow bodies. Maybe the Jack Cassidy gets its own category too.

Of course there are plenty of other features that weigh in the final decision to purchase, but as far as just considering the sound and nothing else, I find myself always looking for something a little different. More and more it seems to be taking me back to the old basses. Can anyone recommend some new basses that are as unique as the Rick or the Hofner?

2. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    you forgot the Stingray has a classic tone.

P, J, H, soapbar, piezo, hollow body, mudbucker and all that active or passive ( well piezo can't be passive ).

Unique ... I think the Stingray is something on his own...

3. you only have such a limited space and option of different pickups to make a different sound. At this point its hard for something to have no been done already,unless you go with something completely different for sound like a piezo only bass or something like light wave.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Try to get your hands on a Dingwall bass. They're not trying to 'cop' any other flavor but their own.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Dude, there's hundreds of cool unique older basses out there, great names like Hagstroms, Gretsch, Vox, and tons of others. But they're all kinda based on the same 4-strings and a magnetic pickup or two blueprint. They'll all sound a little different, but they're not a world apart.

Maybe you should just find an instrument that feels comfortable and then experiment with preamps and effects? That'll get you to a "unique" sound quicker than anything else.

6. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Very true M.R., I guess there are a lot of ways to get a different sound. I guess I was just commenting about my general boredom with the lack of original sounds in basses - hoping someone would either go "Yeah me too" or "don't forget about this, this and this."

To me the Rickenbacker is VERY different sounding than a Fender despite the fact that they're each basically a two pickup solid body long scale bass. Just makes me wonder...have we really run out of possibilities already???

Oh, and I grew up with a lot of those old basses. Hagstroms play great but are very generic sounding. Gretsch's fit in the clunky hollowbody category. Never had a Vox so that might be something. There were also other strange ones like Micro Fret and all the Ampeg varieties.

I heard someone say one time..."Can it really be true that the best bass sound ever came out in the '50s and we can't improve on it?" Well, there have been technological advancements - but it is a statement that gets ya thinkin'.

7. MooneyDriver

MooneyDriver

Oct 6, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Villex; passive. Amazing tone!!!! (Or is "tone" one of those words we bass players user too much?) I'm having a fretless 7 built with this setup. I'm dying to get my hands on it!!!! :hyper:

8. it's better to think of it like this: we've found what works. we know what we like, generally speaking, and we spend our time refining what we like instead of reinventing the wheel. sure there's not a lot of radical originality in bass guitar making, but there's plenty of unique variations on favorite designs. different expressions of the same flavors so to speak. and the industry is still far more experimental than that of almost any other instrument, including (arguably) electric guitars. it's tempting to take the pessimistic route and say basses aren't original anymore. but really that's like saying chairs aren't original anymore. is there room for invention? definitely. but really we're at the point where we're improving and tweaking the designs we've come to trust.

9. there are a ton of different sounds available. especially compared to other instruments. how do you think vibraphone players feel? forget about standing out because of which bass you play and try to stand out with HOW you play. SLAPPIN THA BAAAASSSS!

10. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    All I see on basses is Leo Fender. Precision copy, Jazz copy or Stingray copy. Pick up wise I mean. Electric bass guitar is Leo Fender.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021