Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all about tom waits people

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jonas_oxide, Jul 22, 2005.

1. just had to tell ya.
    he has released (as far as my reckoning goes) 25 albums, and at least 15 rarities without a single hit, save downtown train when performed by rod stewart.
    almost every musician i love gives him credit, he emulates so many types of music. is humouros, drunk ( but not always) sad, etc. One of the best storytellers of our time.
    i have only 13 albums at my disposal, and feel i desperately need more.

my people,

do him, yourself, and waits fans everywhere a favour.
    pick up rain dogs, small change, swordfishtrombones, blue valentines, beautiful maladies (a greatest hits dealo), nighthawks at the diner, heartattack and vine, whatever!
    just get it inta ya, and feel better!!!!

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for reminding me.

I have quite a few TW tunes in my PC.

Tom Traubert's Blues and Xmas Card from a Hooker are my faves.

3. romeo is bleeding, swordfishtrombones, step right up, on a foggy night, murder in the red barn, gun street girl (are you guys just gonna look him up already or am i gonna have to keep going) tango till theyre sore, jitterbug boy (sharing a curbstone), pasties and a g string, chocolate jesus, earth died screaming, ill shoot the moon, t'aint no sin. people, the list is huge

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went through a big tom waits phase a couple years back. I think I have 10 of his albums. He's one of my all-time favorites. I even performed a cover of "16 shells from a 40-ought-6" where I played upright and... SUNG.

I was 15 at the time, I wish I had a recording, it was probably pretty terrible, but at the time I thought(as did most people in the audience) that it was the coolest thing ever.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He sings in Tommy the Cat... AND HE'S AWESOME!

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Tom Waits is a true artist. I especially love Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones.

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    "don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk"

tom waits has some of the best lyrics ever

i recently saw a video of him on fernwood tonight, it was pretty funny. i'd love to see him live. he's great!