Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all active fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sinisa, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Sinisa

Sinisa

Aug 7, 2002
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hi!

Your opinions about all active (pups and circuit) fretless bass? Would there be lack of warm sound, for walking and stuff...? Too modern sounding, or..? Pups will be Seymour Duncan, as well as the electronics..

tnx

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't think you can generalize and say passive=warm and active=cold/modern, it's down to differences between individual pickups and preamps. I have never encountered Seymor Duncans though, so I can't say what they sound like.

I'm going both ways with a J-Retro preamp for my next bass, it has both a passive and an active option, just in case... :)

3. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I USED TO HAVE A FRETLESS MIJ FENDER JAZZ THAT WAS TERRIBLE.

I'VE NOW GOT A STINGRAY FRETLESS 5 (ACTIVE) AND ITS GREAT.

TO MY SURPRISE ITS VERY WARM AND I CAN GET SOUNDS APPROACHING A DOUBLE BASS

(HD's edit - substituted "MIJ" for another term considered to be a slur...)

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    NO NEED TO SHOUT! ;)

Loose the caps please, it's considered poor netiquette and is hard to read.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sinisa, I have a Zon Sonus Custom fretless that has active electronics, and of course a graphite composite neck.

Graphite necks are also stereotypically considered modern, harsh, sterile, etc.

My Zon is warmer sounding than any of my basses, including the all wood ones with all passive electronics.