All ages concerts!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by meltsakana, Sep 5, 2003.

1. meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Oh man Michael, I was so intent on trying to see you at the Fire tonight, in Philadelphia, but the show is 21+! What's the deal! Do you know how many underage people would have come? Thousands! They'd be pouring through the doors! So many more people could be touched if you played all ages shows.. Or at least, one here in philly.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK

I feel for you - I remember being in the same situation when I was younger (though fortunately for me, not many places used to check ID... ;) )

But in Michael's defence, he didn't book the venues - promoters are often trying to balance a lot of different interests in finding the right venue for a particular artist, and sometimes that means that people are going to play 21+ venues...

a real shame - hopefully you'll get to see Michael next time he's around...

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    So sorry about The Fire show, Meltsakana. A number of people have contacted me about this and I realize this is a problem. I will talk it over with my agent to see if we can find a way to make it work. The age policies are set by the clubs, usually in reaction to strict community laws, but maybe there's an alternative. Belive me, if it means thousands more coming to the shows, we want to make it happen!
  4. meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Thanks Michael and Steve. In terms of a philly alternative, is a great all ages thing going on here. Keep it in mind for your next trip around here!
  5. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I always thought the only reason it would be 21+ is if there was booze there.
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ah,, I pray that Mollys in SoCal will let me in,, or I shall sacrifice my life in defiance.

Bars and clubs suck,, really. I know how it is tho, I've PLAYED in 21+ places,, but of course have never been allowed in when there's a good band to hear,..
  7. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for the link, Meltsakana. That's very helpful! I'll pass the info on to my agent and we'll see if we can't set up a show that everyone can attend. Definetly a cause I'd like to support!
  8. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    Is Molly Malone's in L.A. a 21+ also?

I was thinking of taking a few under age bassists to that show.