1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All-ages vs. 19+

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drop-the-One, Oct 9, 2010.

1. I've only been in Vancouver's "original rock/punk/indie/pop" music scene for a few months and things are going GREAT! Some things I've noticed though... The response at all ages shows seem to be 10x that of bar gigs. Kids seem so much more open to new bands whereas the older crowds seem pretty set on their list of bands to listen to.

Basically it's "Hey, you guys were great on stage, gimme a hi5" vs. "I want ur autograph, do you sell shirts? I'll buy em all so nobody else can have em!!!" Just so much more hype. Our last all-ages, we handed out about a hundred demo CDs... where it didn't even look like a hundred people showed up

Is this anybody else's experience as well? How does it affect your band? If not, what's your situation like?

2. haha sorry, 21+ in the US

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    The few all ages shows I played were the complete opposite of what you mentioned. Kids would come, hang out and then leave. I do know that most places don't like putting on all ages shows, mainly because they'll make little to no money.

4. Do you do cover band stuff or original? What kind of music do you play? Our cases might be different, 'cause most of my income comes from CD sales, Merch and door and yours would be "make em drink and dance and we pay you well"

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    It was all originals, mainly in the hard rock (Soundgarden style). I talked with a bunch of owners of places around here that would benefit from those types of shows (coffee shops, etc..) and the kids just come to hang out, and don't spend any money so they don't continue them. So, getting the people in the door wasn't the problem. Getting them to spend money on ANYTHING was.

It's a weird cycle. We'll see a new venue open up that cites "We need to offer all ages shows so the kids have someplace to go," try that business model for a couple of months, and then either close down or switch to 21+ shows where they can make actual money.

6. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Originals are tough on the owners without charging a cover. Out here (Phoenix), we'll do all-ages shows where there's usually a caged in or roped off area around the bar with the entry point monitored by a bouncer. Then the stage area is anything goes. For the kids, there's no re-entry if they head outside - other than if the place has a roped in smoking area - due to the extreme likeliness of going to their car, drinking, coming back in, getting the bar in trouble.

If there's a law that would allow this up there, it's a good thing to talk over with a bar owner that's about to stop having originals in. Even if it's just to get $4/head for the under 21's. It isn't quite a bar tab, but they travel in packs, have disposable income, and actually buy shirts and CDs. The 21+ people get to hang back and chill, and the kids get to rock out up front. And the fogies can always go polish off their beer and go watch up close.

Works out pretty well for some venues, at least a temporary stop gap worth testing.

7. Wow, I'm so looking into that!!

There's nothing like that here. THe next best thing is there are halls to rent for about 1K, all ages during the day and 19+ at night. Which if you can pull the draw, will pay off.

8. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    All of our shows have been all ages. Kinda the only option when all 5 of us are 18.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021