All-American Rejects- bass tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Sep 3, 2003.

1. there was a BP interview with their bass player and he says he used a Gibson Flying V bass (presumably the one in the video and that he uses on TV appearances) to record their album.

this bass looks like it's short scale, and has two humbuckers, but the tone on "swing swing", their big hit single, sounds just like a P bass, played with a pick, with lots of high mids and a touch of distortion- the standard skate-punk tone.
    it doesn't sound hollow at all, unlike Mike Dirnt's tone on Longview that he used a Gibson Les Paul recording on, that you'd expect the Flying V to sound like.

anyone own/ever try a Flying V bass?
  2. I remember reading a review about a Gibson Flying V bass in a musician's magazine, years ago back in the '80s, and it got very good rating in regards to its sound. I'm not sure about the "short scale" bit; I think its scale is medium.

I quite like that "Swing Swing" song - good vocals!
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Flying V bass was 30" short scale and a total dud on the market.

The low impedance pickups used on 70s Les Paul Recording basses were quite unlike those used on any other Gibson basses.

So what's your point? If you think it sounds like a P-bass and you want that sound, then get a P-bass :confused:
  4. my point is- could it actually have been a Gibson Flying V bass as claimed, or was it a P bass, and the guy was speaking from his fundament (maybe for endorsement purposes), so to speak?

ps. I do have a P bass;)
  5. I found this page on the internet. So the guy's bass is probably one of those '81 Flying V basses.
    If he really got endorsed by Gibson, we'd probably see him with one of their current bass models. And from what I remember from the review I already mentioned I think it's quite possible he actually used the Flying V bass for the recordings.

Too bad I don't have its review available (the magazine is in a box I stored at my parents' place before I moved away from Germany).
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Well, seeing as how the flying V bass hasn't been on the market for a while, I kind of doubt he's just saying that for endorsement's sake. To my ears, that's the tone that comes to mind when I think of Gibson basses other than the EB-series.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah me too, very catchy

chekc out their other stuff to, "The Last Song" is great
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I read somewhere that the singer/bassist didnt actually play bass when he first met up with the band, he just lied bc they needed a bassist, I think the reason why he uses that bass is bc he wanted something that was really similiar to a guitar (i tihnk he played guitar beforehand) so it would seem similiar. And that bass is shaped like a guitar, and is shortscale, and he uses a pick, to me, it cant get much more guitar-like,.
  9. Just because he plays a Flying V bass live doesn't mean he recorded with it. He could have used a P-bass on the record, who knows?
  10. ...apart from playing a Fender VI maybe ;)