All Apartment dwellers! In here.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Case, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Just wondering how many of you lived in apartments, but mainly wanted to hear some stories about neighbors complaining when you practice and what not.

Like I've had the neighbors directly below me pound on their celling while I was practing.
    And it seems like the guys next door like to crank their stereo whenever I start to practice, like they think it's a competition, even though I'm using my 75 watter at low volumes. What I'd love to do is put my Hartke rig right up next to their wall and blast 'em. But the fear of eviction holds me back.
  2. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I know what you mean...
    The people upstairs bang constantly (that could be misunderstood [​IMG]). These people are more annoying than anything I have ever encountered! OK, so when they start pounding i turn down the volume but they keep pounding. So I lay down the bass and play my accustic spanish guitar and they keep pounding!!! So, polite as I am, I stop playing. Then five minutes later their f***ing kids start playing basketball upstairs!!!!

I am so glad that I'm moving to a new place.

A house...

~Loxley~ (I'm a guy [​IMG])

Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

3. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Yaaaaa.. my upstairs neighbor "bang" constantly as well.. although it isn't the kind of "banging" that is done in retaliation to my constant bass playing. It's more like the "banging" inspired by hormones, a guy and a girl, and boredom.

I actually think they like hearing me play. =)

4. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Confession time (or Bass as a weapon)

I used to live in a duplex where the people next door would make all kinds of racket late at night.
    One night I got p-ed off and leaned my combo,a 1x15,against the wall that connected the two places and just let the E string feedback for a while.
    Never heard squat from that side again.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

I'm with ya: 500 watts, two 410 cabs, and a B string. I bet they were picking up the stuff that WAS hanging on the wall for hours afterwards [​IMG] No more Tupac at midnite after want bass? I'll give you bass...

As far as not disturbing the fellow apartment dwellers (inmates?) that DON'T irritate the snot out of you, get a good headphone amp that allows you to mix the signal from a tape player, CD player, or metronome/drum machine with your bass. I used a Boss DR-5 for years, and am now happily banging away through a Korg PX3B Pandora (where else have I heard about that..... [​IMG]). I even still use it now that I'm a homeowner (I can't stand for anyone to hear me practicing or learning tunes).

6. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A friend of mine lived in an apartment building, up on the 2nd floor. His neighbour from the next building (only 12ft away, also 2nd floor) used to play loud folk music, so my friend asked for help...
    I brought in my 200W Valve Head, and stuck my 4x12" into the window - it barely fit. We hooked up a tape deck and my Ric 4003, and put Smoke On The Water on full blast...nearly blew his apartment away. My friend never heard folk music again [​IMG]
  7. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Good to know I'm not alone in this. As far as putting my speakers up against the wall that the "competition" that I was talking about...he seems like the kind of guy who would slash your tires over something like that.

Loved the stories about you guys who actually went through with that plan of attack. Keep em coming.
  8. mljohn

Jul 16, 2000
    And the story continues...
    I used to live in this apartment complex with paper-thin walls. I had people living above me and on three sides. I was polite about my practicing by playing at a barely audible level. I had this one neighbor though that all I ever heard was this BOOM-CHICKA-BOOM crap pounding through the walls. I finally had enough a placed my Peavey TNT 150 about two inches from the wall. No contest. Although it did take him a couple times before he learned he couldn't win.(Sure wish I had my 500W Peavey stack at the time) [​IMG]
  9. I have a gig that requires i play many different songs every week, so i always practice in my apartment on my acouistc bass and have never recieved 1 complaint. It's handy to just pick up and play too. Trent

Keep it country!
  10. BillyPat

Apr 20, 2000
    my apartment is the second floor of a house. I got a complaint one night around 5PM from the guy downstairs. so I killed him. [​IMG]

but seriously, having since picked my 1X12 combo off of the floor and put it on an end table, I have had no complaints. [​IMG]
  11. I can play as loud as I want. I own a house. [​IMG]

"Why does it hurt when I pee?" - Frank Zappa

"Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony." - Morpheus
  12. I lived in a dorm last year. Quiet hours were between 10PM and 10AM. It sucked, because I do my best practice at about 11PM. Even during "loud hours" I was often asked to turn down, and sometimes to turn off (usually by the bitchy girl next door who didn't like me interrupting her giving blowjobs to frat boys...true story).

This year, I will be living in the music dorm. They're even more anal about quiet hours but during the day you can leave it on 11.
  13. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i'm in a duples townhouse. my neighbors are cool. i don't play loudly when they are home. common courtesy.
  14. I'm lucky to have seldomly home cool neighbors. But when it gets late I put a couple towels under my combo to cut down on the vibration or use headphones and take the opportunity to check my electronics for noise etc.
  15. tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I'm the considerate one. Even if I'm playing with a little more "umph" than usual with an accompanying song going through the PA at low levels, everything gets turned off by 10pm.
    And YET, the 3 fatso brothers who live above me in a two family house just don't realize that the entire lower level becomes a bass trap when they walk back and forth, back and forth until 1am. And then at 5am it starts all over again until the next 1am.

Brutal. They don't get the not walking heel to toe in bare feet when people are trying to sleep below you thing. I hear their tv from 7am-1am, EVERY DAY. One of them is bedridden in an electric hospital bed. You know what that things sounds like when he wants to adjust it "just so"? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CLUMP, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CLUP, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CLUP.

I should think they don't say anything when I play from 7-10pm at the most at low level.

eff them!
  16. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Apt dweller here. My bass has a way of summoning the landlord, no matter where he is on the earth, to immediately show up at my door. In fact, it's such a sure thing, I've started using his knock at the door as a metronome.
  17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I live in an apartment and practice at low levels using studio monitors or a small combo, or with headphones. I expect my neighbours to not disturb me and I show them the same courtesy, we all want peace and quiet at home. My bass rig is at our rehearsal place, I can make more noise there.
  18. ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    Why not just get a small practise amp....plug your headphones in...and you're good to go.....they won't even know you're there.....
  19. I live in a very densely populated part of town, I don't even use an amp when I practice at home.
    Everyone would hear it and probably get upset about hearing me practice the same silly bass fills for 20 minutes.
    I have a couple of lockout studios at my disposal, so if I want to practice with an amp, I do it there.
  20. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I've got one for you..... I used to live in an apartment above a head shop in a tiny collage village (party town when schools in session.) During the day all was quiet. From 7 pm-3 am it was the head shop owner and employees that would blast tons of classic rock at ridiculous volumes while getting drunk and high. Then about twice a week I would get the pleasure of hearing my neighbor get it on with her boyfriend of the week anytime between 4-6 am. I usually practiced at either low levels or with headphones and typically during the day because I worked a pretty late B shift. One day, after about a year of this, I decided "F them!" and invited my whole band for practice. neanderthal drummer, two guitars both using 100w stacks, my 450w stack and a singer with a PA. Jammed for hours. Even told they guys 'hey lets work on some new material i just made up just now.' the guys expressed concern about the neighbors but i told them that its cool, i asked ahead of time (i didn't.) we finished around 11-11:30 pm. That night, there was no booming music from the shop. I thought 'YES! I WON!" a couple days later when i was in the shop paying rent a few of the guys asked me if i had my band over. I responded with a casual 'yeah, it was kinda loud' but they responded with a 'you guys are pretty good. whens the next time your jamming?'....... FCK i didn't win, I merely entertained them for free.....