1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All Around Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aerome, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Aerome

Aerome

Oct 23, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Great Forum, thanks to all the gurus! This has probably been beat to death and I've run through a bunch of threads after searching but I thought I would ask my specific question.

Just getting back into the swing of things after a 30+ year hiatus and I'm looking for a bass amp for use primarily around the house but not ruling out adding to it to one day play out. I like the light weight options (remember I'm an old bastage) and like an aux input and phone jack for help with practicing. Also need something that I can use for guitar, although I'm sure most bass amps can handle it. My hangup seems to be that the modern cabinets all seem to be made of chipboard and that to me doesn't mean longevity. Looking primarily at the GK's, the Carvins' have no aux and the Benz seems to be nice. Mark's stuff is too rich for my current blood so are there any others that I can consider? All suggestions appreciated.

Running a new Ric bass through.

Thanks much!

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have a GK MB115 and it's a great little combo and pretty dang loud @ 200 watts, great tone and very light, it only weighs around 35 lbs. I think.... GK is also coming out with a series of powered bass cabs (MBP Series) so you could always add to it later on.....

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Chip board is fine so long as you don't get it wet (Long story). I think it's less resonant than ply wood, and that actually makes it a good choice.

I'm an old fart myself. I have a Carvin combo (I know, no Carvin) and I like it as well as my big old stack. It weighs a whopping 53 pounds!

Get yourself a combo with a class D amp, and neodymium speakers. I wouldn't get anything with less than a 2X10 speaker wise. I also have a 1X10 100w combo at home, and it really may as well be one of those little 30W things. The single speaker just doesn't cut it even if it does have 100W behind it.

4. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    If you are a DIY'er, check out my Hybrid practice cab thread I submitted today. A 210 version of this would be 200W and light and should easily hang with a drummer. I have to say the MB200 GK amplifier is fantastic value.

5. Aerome

Aerome

Oct 23, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for all the help. Anyone know if the GK's are made of wood or chips? I have a problem with the chipboard and it's inability to take any trauma (bang or pulled caster) without causing further degradation. Bergantino seems to make his cabs out of baltic maple. Double thumbs up to him!

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IME the Genz stuff is better built and more versatile than the GK combos. Outstanding service if you ever need it. Since the NAMM show starts today, eBay new prices on last year's GB stuff is already diving and will continue to do so. There will also be a lot of stuff in the TB classifieds as people GAS for what's new. My 02 is a GB 3.0-10 combo. It has all the features you want, sounds good, takes an extension cab later on, and the head pops out in 10 seconds for use on a big cab if you like.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If you can afford it, you might check out the Phil Jones briefcase.

8. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg PF350 or PF500 + PF115he or PF210he. The cabs are made out of real poplar and not chipboard, they have a tweeter if you want to get all slappy/tappy and you can turn it off it you don't, they have headphone and CD/MP3 jacks, they're relatively inexpensive, and they sound great.

I'm with you on the chipboard, BTW, but not all companies make their cabs out of chipboard. But a fair amount do so definitely look.

10. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Going through the same thing right now. (See my thread
    amp info overload). I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the
    trigger on the GK mb115. It doesn't quite have the features
    of the Genz or Carvin. But the price is sooo nice. $340 at
    your door from Musician's Friend (currently 15% off + free
    shipping). And the light weight is a big selling point for me
    too.

Edit:

Oh forgot to add, the cabinet is made from poplar if that's
    a selling point. Composites aren't bad, they're just heavy
    (generally, MDF is crazy heavy) but tonally pretty neutral.
    Pretty sure the acoustic b200 is MDF for example. Same
    basic specs, twice the weight (good tone though).

Cheers,
    John

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    +1 for what you want in an amp. There are lighter-weight cabs out there, though, but these are good if you don't mind a little extra weight. And they go good with the amp. I'd get the 500, if it was me.

Then, there's the brand new Markbass Big Bang head (it has a headphone out). Looks good, but no reports yet. I'm running their Traveler 151P cab, and it sounds great. 44.75 lbs.

JimmyM, there are no reviews of the cab on MF. What do you say of it. And would you think I could use it with my LMIII and 151P cab? What would that be like, I wonder?

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    (bump)

13. I agree on the chipboard, I've seen way too many broken with just a little drop or smack. My overall ampI use for guitar and bass is a PJB Suitcase, but they are quite hard on the pocketbook. GK is a good option, just avoid the Gold series.

14. Aerome

Aerome

Oct 23, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    All good info, appreciate the replies. Narrowing it down as we speak. Added the GK MB115 to the mix. Frustrating but fun!

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Jimmy beat me to it again. Ampeg PF series.

16. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    PF series Ampeg!

17. G-K MB series!!!

18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    +1

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would throw my hat in ring for the Ampeg PF 500 and the matching 210 cab. Played one recently and really liked it. I like how the head can be mounted to the cabinet . Very cool rigs.

20. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I can vouch for the PF500. I too, am trying to get back into playing after 40 years without owning a bass. I was not sure about the PF cabinets, so I bought a used Mesa Diesel 115, (which is thier take on an Electrovoice TL606), and it annoys the neighbors quite well, (and sounds great to me). I run a drum machine through the FX loop, listen through headphones, and this works nice for playing around at home without bothering others. I may spring for a matching PF cab one of these days.