all around strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basserman44, Jan 5, 2001.

1. my 4 string needs new strings.... the pas few sets of string have been dr lowriders and d'addario prisms, neither of them have beefy tone. i need something warm enough for jazz band at school and powerful enough for punk and metal at home. i was looking at the Ernie Ball Slinky 55-110. i would like a thick guage string, but also would like low string tension. sounds like i'm askin for a miracle here, but just tell me what will suit my styles of music and i can deal with string tension. thanx

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you don't find the Lo-Riders beefy, I don't know what to tell you. I can rattle my windows with them through my little practice amp. 'Course, I'm using a Basslines Quarter-Pound Pup which may have something to do with it. Still, I think the Lo-Riders are pretty thumpy for roundwounds.

Do you play with a pick? When I use a pick, it seems to suck some of the bottom end out. Also, what bass are you using?
  3. i have a yamaha bbg4 the bass has always sounded kinda thin to me, thats why the lowriders didnt do much for me.

4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A "miracle" ehhh? :rolleyes: ...I'm currently usin' Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flatwounds (JF344)
    on a cheapie Yamaha with a DiMarzio "Split-P". I'm constantly amazed
    how such a light gauge/low tension string can sound like a ton o' thunder.
    I've also tried the Jazz Roundwound set (JR364). Yikes! :eek:
    They were too bright, but that's just me.
    TI also makes the "Magnecore" Roundwound hex core set (haven't tried those...yet :p ).
  5. have you tried groundwound strings yet?
  6. nope, to be honest i've never heard of them. what makes them different?
  7. They're compressed roundwounds, a combination between flats and rounds. they have a flatwound-ish feel with a more brightness.
  8. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    You might want to check out the Thomastik roundwounds. They are a bit bright out of the pack, but after a few days they mellow nicely and imho they sound HUGE and have low tension.
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Location's a few more ~
    GHS Brite-Flats and Dean Markley ground-roundwounds.
    They start life as a full-up roundwound, and are then
    ground slightly. Not quite a roundwound, not quite a
    flatwound (floor polish? :p).

Dean Markley "Fretmasters" ~ "Round over the pickups for
    that bright sound but burnished ever so slightly over the
    fretboard. Round Wound sound - Flat Wound feel. A great
    electric string for all types of playing. Fretmaster gives
    you all the tone but none of the fretwear."
    Dunno' how they sound. Had a set. Gave it away :( .

But...I agree with oddentity Re the TI's. There's magic in them thar' strings :D
  10. if you want lower tension, you could just tune down a half step. if you play in a band, have your guitarists do this too. not only is it easier to play, but more accomodating to the vocal range of male singers.