Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all around strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basserman44, Jan 5, 2001.

1. my 4 string needs new strings.... the pas few sets of string have been dr lowriders and d'addario prisms, neither of them have beefy tone. i need something warm enough for jazz band at school and powerful enough for punk and metal at home. i was looking at the Ernie Ball Slinky 55-110. i would like a thick guage string, but also would like low string tension. sounds like i'm askin for a miracle here, but just tell me what will suit my styles of music and i can deal with string tension. thanx

peace

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you don't find the Lo-Riders beefy, I don't know what to tell you. I can rattle my windows with them through my little practice amp. 'Course, I'm using a Basslines Quarter-Pound Pup which may have something to do with it. Still, I think the Lo-Riders are pretty thumpy for roundwounds.

Do you play with a pick? When I use a pick, it seems to suck some of the bottom end out. Also, what bass are you using?

3. i have a yamaha bbg4 the bass has always sounded kinda thin to me, thats why the lowriders didnt do much for me.

peace

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A "miracle" ehhh? :rolleyes: ...I'm currently usin' Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flatwounds (JF344)
    on a cheapie Yamaha with a DiMarzio "Split-P". I'm constantly amazed
    how such a light gauge/low tension string can sound like a ton o' thunder.
    I've also tried the Jazz Roundwound set (JR364). Yikes! :eek:
    They were too bright, but that's just me.
    TI also makes the "Magnecore" Roundwound hex core set (haven't tried those...yet :p ).

5. have you tried groundwound strings yet?

6. nope, to be honest i've never heard of them. what makes them different?

7. They're compressed roundwounds, a combination between flats and rounds. they have a flatwound-ish feel with a more brightness.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You might want to check out the Thomastik roundwounds. They are a bit bright out of the pack, but after a few days they mellow nicely and imho they sound HUGE and have low tension.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    GHS Brite-Flats and Dean Markley ground-roundwounds.
    They start life as a full-up roundwound, and are then
    ground slightly. Not quite a roundwound, not quite a
    flatwound (floor polish? :p).

Dean Markley "Fretmasters" ~ "Round over the pickups for
    that bright sound but burnished ever so slightly over the
    fretboard. Round Wound sound - Flat Wound feel. A great
    electric string for all types of playing. Fretmaster gives
    you all the tone but none of the fretwear."
    Dunno' how they sound. Had a set. Gave it away :( .

But...I agree with oddentity Re the TI's. There's magic in them thar' strings :D

10. if you want lower tension, you could just tune down a half step. if you play in a band, have your guitarists do this too. not only is it easier to play, but more accomodating to the vocal range of male singers.