Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Aussie Bass players vent here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 16, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    As you probably know, a fair majority of TBers are from "down under". This is good for us, and bad in a way.

But wwhich one of my fellow aussies hate how low the australian dollar is. And which of you guys hate how everyone here brags about their new Sadowsky's and MTDS, and we dont have all those brands! To get a bass player magazine costs $16.20 here, which is around $30 in the U.S.

Im sorrym, but i just had to let all this out. Aussies feel free to vent aswell :D

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You guys need to buy local stuff. I bet there are mighty fine basses being built there too, by small luthier companies.

3. Yeah, but they don't advertise themselves like they do in America. Like, I'ver never heard of Warwick or anything like that before I joined here - they're just not heard of here.

Magazines are so expensive, as well - I bought Guitar Player around about Feburary (it had David Gilmour, from Pink Floyd on the cover, so I had to buy it!) and I had to take the costs out of my money I was going to spend in NZ.

I read it on the plane there, so it wasn't all bad.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, I know, it's much the same here in Finland, except that we get decent access to basses via mail ordering from Germany, with Euro as currency and all. Stuff is still expensive, if you buy it from local store.

Fenders and such are still quite expensive here, you'd pay something like (U)$1300 for American standard Fender, but when my local guitar builder's hand-built basses start from $1400, there's not much sense in buying a Fender now is there?

You'd probably find several guitar (and bass!) builders by reading Aussie music magazines or surfing to Aussie musician's bulletin boards. Oh, and Japanese instruments are quite nice too :cool:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In Germany you pay through the nose for US gear too.

My favorite example: Eden is more expensive than Glockenklang.

An issue of Bassplayer costs almost 9 Dollar (US!)

But we do have the advantage of an abundance of fine bass builders and amp manufacturers :)

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The U.K. is very expensive too...
    1350 dollars for an AM P Bass (£850)!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    MIA Fender J:

1469.00 Euro, which is a joke

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    dont even get me started.....happy thoughts, happy thoughts.......

9. You think that's bad? 807 dollars for a new MIM Jazz! New CD's go for 33 U.S. dollars! When you buy a bass you get a choice: Fender or Ibanez? When you import bass stuff you have to pay extra 24,5% of the price in taxes! WE DON'T EVEN GET BASS MAGS!

Whining Aussies.

Disclaimer: ;) :D :bawl:

10. Well i'm an aussie and i'm guilty of complaining, but we do have some really decent equipment made down here and the prices are really good as well.

If any aussies are looking into buying new equipment and would like to look at gear made in oz look at Bellman Basses, Kennedey Basses and Labsystems Amps all high quality equipment at competitive prices.

Note: Second plug for the Labsystems amps, they rock and so do their cabinets!

Disclaimer: Even though I like those bass compainies mentioned above, I don't think i'll even leave Warwick after getting my Dolphin, well maybe for a Fender Jazz but that'd be it.

11. hey no offense but u ppl have no idea.

A MIM bass here is on special for $1300 AUS ie. $780 US.

It is thanks to a thread in basses that i have discovered bass NW where i can get and MIM for uder $300 US

So don' t think you pretend to know what we put up with ( how bout a Hartke 2000 for $1500

If i made any spelling mistakes I apologise but i have drunk way too much

12. Kirb's the Aussie dollar has nothing to do with at all.

work at the conversion rates and yu will realizd this.

13. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whining comes naturally for us :D

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's only partly because of exchange rates. The bigger problem is transport costs (we're a long way away) and Govt import duty. It's a pitty there aren't any Pro Audio companies in Asia making decent Bass gear.

The price of gear bothers me. But the lack of brand choice bothers me more. Lets start at A and list the brands frequently refered to on TB the aren't readily availablke here:-

Aguilar, Avatar, Acme, Accugroove, Bertango, Bag End...... and I'm only up to B....

I had to wait 4 months for my Stingray to arrive and there was nothing fancy-pants about it.

Third plug for Labsystems. I used a 400b for 12 years before it eventually died. I wanted to get another one but they're more expensive than they used to be.

I replaced it with an "Ebony". New company from Melbourne. Great value. I bought 2.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Nah, too easy. :D

16. As Australians we cant really win. Someone mentioned looking at local brand stuff. But the local gear is just as expensive because not only do they have to compete with the import market, many of the components used in audio equipment is manufactured overseas. And i'm not talking just about American prices here.

So too from a electronics hobbyist point of view... valves in america cost say $10 for a $12AX7 made in europe. Here it is easy $27 for a single valve. Now it would be good if australia made its own valves.

Even if locally made gear was available and cheap... our society is so overseas driven i can bet you anything people would say "noway man, but such and such a brand is far better". So we as aussie can bitch all we like, but we wouldnt try a local new brand as it is already so called crap before its even hit the store.

Merls

17. Petebass,

Do you know where i could find some info on "Ebony" bass amps, i haven't been able to find any thing on the net about them other than they are made by audioassemblers.

Thanks

SBP

18. Hey Petebass: Sounds like a business opportunity to me - you sound like an experienced player and pretty shrewd guy from your past posts. Ever thought of setting up a distributorship down under - marketing the hard-to-find gear? Even an internet-based company sounds like it could be a fun venture.

Cheers,
    Bob

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Damn guys, you lot needa go get yourselves endorsed. I tell you, it hurts being this good. Whew! Yeah! Ya mama! :D That 30-40% discount is worth being completely hamstrung by one make for the rest of my existence, oh baby.

Kirbs has a valid point. Us Ozzies? We get jibbed on the gear side, big time. The Bass Centre in South Melbourne is your best mate, so if you live anywhere else other than Victoria... eh, suffer :p

20. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    AMEN TO THAT!

Petebass: if you did start up your own company, id sure as hell buy something off you!

Stephanie Dawe, hey, dont get me started on adeliade. ;)

I agree with petebass, he listed 6 brands that are always spoken about on here, and we have none of them. But hey we have labsystems :cool:

And blackbird, i dont get it, tell :confused: