All Australian Timber 5 string optical fretless bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Muzza, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips and techniques on this forum! I have finally finished designing and building this bass from All Australian woods and I just had to show it off in here. :)

Please let me know what you think?

Attached Files:

2. sweet! how'd you like the lightwave? I'm being tempted to try one soon.
  3. Mmm, nice.

Out of curiosity, whats the weight like on it? Would I be right in guessing its a bit on the heavy side?

Josh D
  4. Hi Josh,

Yes it is on the heavy side and I prefer a solid bass anyway.

Because i'm a mix of bass guitar and double bass player I have made the neck thicker than normal which has kept it nicely balanced.

5. wilser,

I was also a little nervous but I was after a clean reproduction of sound with no hum and I liked the idea of no magnetic pickups in the way. (and they looked cool :)

I think they sound great. They also pick up harmonics really well compared to magnetics (especially if you hit a hamonic where there is another node over the pickup you get nothing).

You also have peizo's under each monolith for a bit of variation.

They are certainly more complex than even an active system but they are very well designed including individual gain controls for each string.

Go on give them a go!

6. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Question: Why the lack of truss rod? Isn't that going to pose a problem in the future?
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    pretty sexy bass you've got there. I've been wanting to do the same thing -- building a bass with woods from my area. What piezos did you use under the bridge??
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Muzza, 900mm is only 35.4" :rolleyes: ;)

Qute item, well done! And with that neck and Lightwaves, I bet it sounds great.

teej, LW monoliths include an optical and a piezo pickup. The piezo is carefully blended in the mix, actually just to add some treble and some of the string sounds that we are used to. You can dial it out and be perfectly happy, but you can not play only the piezo, by LWs choice that is impossible.
  9. andvari7,

There is a slim chance of no truss rod being a problem but I have used a west systems epoxy to laminate the timbers (which are both very hard & stable as well), the 2 timbers are set with opposing grain directions and I've gone for a reasonably thick neck. So with all these together I can't see a problem.

btw Last night I did a rehearsal with my old Washburn fretless and it felt and sounded thin and yuck.

10. Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Hey muzz Sweet bass, bet she charges.
    How does that jarrah go as a fretboard? I didn't realise it was dense enough to be used there. And just out of curiosity, how much did that lightwave system set you back?I wonder if you can get one without the free trip to Bali? ;)