Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all bass band with drums

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Eyesore_Dogface, Nov 20, 2002.

1. I wonder how that would sound- I've heard Dos, but I can't help but wonder what it would sound like with a drummer added- drums, and two basses. Me and a couple of band members had an experimental band called "Beefstick" which was drums, and two basses- all improvised. It was goofy but interesting.

2. Sorry to jump in here first Watt, but this is relevent.....I am in a band called the Wyandotte County Lowriders (in Kansas City). We are an all bass band and 1 drummer. Usually there are 10 of us, but the most we have had play is 13 (drummer - 14). Here is a link to one song
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/1747/1747211.html
    It was done live quite a while ago with maybe 10 or 9 of us, but you can get an idea. It is hard as hell trying to fight the urge to go off and the urge to hold it down. It feels like being beat with a sack of doorknobs up on stage, with all of the bass amps everywhere, blaring and pushing massive amounts of air...I try to get a spot right by the drummer, and lock eyes with him as much as possible.

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

there's godhead silo and lightning bolt, they're pretty good bass/drum only bands.

w/dos, we purposely didn't want a drummer w/us - we wanted pure bass in the form of two bass guitars for it - hence the name: dos (spanish for two)!

on bass, watt

4. watt

jason,

wow, that's some feat!

there was a band here in l.a. called the free bass orchestra and they did something like that.

how about a band w/fifteen guys, all of them playing kick drum only?

on bass, watt

5. I have been trying to get the drummer for this band to put something like that together (all bass drum band) to play with us on the same bill. We are playing the 31st of Jan. with 20 bassists! Obnoxious...

6. watt

jason,

holy cow! or should I say holy ox?

on bass, watt

p.s. make sure that drummer does good on that idea for a kick drum-only band!

7. Hey, what the hell...they've been doing the same thing in Africa for thousands of years, even independently developing a percussion-based analog to the American Indian smoke-signals language.
    Recycle good ideas, me says.

8. watt

mister sheriff,

agreed!

on bass, watt

9. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    there's also the Japanese band Ruins, which consists of drummer/vocalist Yoshida Tatsuya, and various bassists over the years. Most of the stuff is just bass drums and vocals, but their most recent album, "Tzomborgha", has more overdubbing, what sounds like guitar but I think it's a Fender Bass VI.

Just be forewarned, their music is very weird!!! Mr. Yoshida sings in his own made up language, and not suprisingly perhaps the closest analogue to their sound is the great French band Magma...

10. The Ruins are awesome, I caught them live at a tiny venue in Lawrence, KS playing with Ultra Bide (another great band). The bass player that I saw did indeed saddle up on a five string, some kind of yamaha. They both sang with headset mics! After every song, they both said a quick "thank you." and bolted off with another song.

11. watt

hi,

weird can be good. tommy acquinas settled this issue many hundreds of years ago ("beware the man of one book"), you know, something like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

let your freak flag fly!

on bass, watt