Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All-Bass bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ARA punk, Jan 1, 2002.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I was wondering if there are any All-Bass bands, or bassists and a drummer or something. Maybe something like the progressive music JT plays. Im not really sure what im looking for here. I guess if anyone knew of any they would know what im talking about. Thanks alot.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well....not exactly bass, but there is a band called Apocalyptica. Four finnish guys who play the cello. They published an album in 1996 which is called Plays Metallica By Four Cellos

They are doing much more now I gather. I bought this cd and it´s absolutely astounding listening to them playing famous Metallica songs only with four cellos.

Check it out....

www.apocalyptica.com

3. victor wooten "a show of hands" is all bass. every song on the c.d. is very cool. im not sure if thats what your looking for but you should check it out anyway.

4. Oh! check out anything by the Inbreds or Duotang
    they each consist of just one drummer and a bassist,
    however i believe Duotang had two bassists at one point, go figure!

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    damn damn damn, if only i could remember, there IS a bass orchestra...they really do rock.
    i cant think of the name of the guy whos cd its on tho.....ill get back to ya.
    ;)

6. Where can I find songs with duotang and the inbreds? Audiogalaxy didn't find anything with duotang and the inbred songs it found had guitar and singing in it so I'm guessing it was the wrong one.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's a band called Burn Guitars I think that is all bass and maybe drums. I can't remember. I have no idea what kind of music they play though.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Switchblade Kittens!
    An all bass band w/drums that were all over the music rags in Aria promo's recently.

10. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    Spinal Tap did an all bass song (with a bass synthisizer) :D

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The all bass orchestra was put on by Dave Pomeroy out of Nashville.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Originally posted by Shumph:
    Spinal Tap did an all bass song (with a bass synthisizer)

The song was ironically enough called 'Big Bottom'!!!

13. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Audio galaxy had a Switchblade Kittens, but they have guitars and they kinda sucked. The song was called "Ode to Harry Potter"

wrong band?

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I was in a band called the Earth Movers. Three basses plus drums. It was more of a goof than a real band, we put it together to do one show.

For material we did Big Bottom, Godzilla, Dazed and Confused, Whipping Post, Birdland, etc. just tunes associated with heavy bass lines.

It was a lot of work coming up with arrangements that didn't sound like total mud. :rolleyes: We ended up using lots of effects and loits of basses to cover all the parts. I even bowed my P-bass on Dazed and Confused in homage to Jimmy Page :cool:

15. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    <center>
    Thanx alexander......call me mr forgetful from now on everyone!

:)

<center>

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Check out Rothko. Three bassists and a drummer.

17. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    sadly (or not depending on your perspective), Rothko is now a 'proper' band - Mark Beazley is still doing his stummy bass thang, but they have a singer and a guitarist and some other stuff - various members of another rather fab London band, Delicate AWOL...

other all bass acts - someone already mentioned the Switchblade Kittens - very funny, perhaps not intentionally - www.switchbladekittens.com - I have their CD and it's great...

also, check out the solo bass network for a list of people who play bass solo - www.solobassnetwork.org.uk - which includes me! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    And it is funnier than hell!!! Love that song. Wish I could get my band to learn it.

19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I heard of a band called "Dianoga?"...

anyone heard of 'em?

20. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000