Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All bass songs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 7, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Anyone know names or have tabs to any songs that can be played just on a bass? with no other instruments involved besides drums or singing or something?

2. Spinal Tap's Big Bottom. All Bass! Love that song!

3. Hekbass

Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    "The Fish" by Chris Squire of Yes on the album Fragile.
    That one recently was printed on Bass Guitar Magazine ( a mag I don't like too much, but I do buy it occasionally, I prefer Bass Player...that's just me). Multi-bass overdubbed, dont know if that's what you are looking for.
    And, Victor Wooten's first solo album (A Show of Hands ) is mostly bass and singing...allegedly with no multi-tracking of any kind...dont know if there are TABs though.
    Jaco's "Continuum" sounds pretty good as a solo bass piece, and "Portrait of Tracy" is solo bass, from his self-title debut.
    And...

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Moon Over Bourbon Street - Sting

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Marcus Miller's 'Power" is all bass with synthy sounds throughout.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    "Donna Lee" too then, Jaco pulled that off with just bass and bongos/congas (can't recall which).

7. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    dawn patrol by megadeth

8. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    First song I thought of when I saw the thread :)

Theres things like Level 42's Dune Tune, you can solo that without the synth. The rest of it is just percussion and voices

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1 for "Portrait Of Tracy". Great solo tune. Also, "More Love" from Victor Wooten's first solo album "A Show Of Hands". The whole CD is great (a must for any serious bass player IMO), but this tune is to me one of the coolest and most beautiful compositions for the bass guitar. There's a Victor Wooten book (which I've never seen) and maybe "More Love" is there (this one is played on a tenor bass tuned ADGBb low to high).

And last but definitely not least, check Stuart Hamm's solo records. He has plenty of great solo bass pieces.

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Just play the bass parts to N.I.B. by themselves. They sound great.