Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All bass songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peatroosio, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm starting to write songs and the only problem is that I'm not in a band and don't have music to go along with them! Have any of you ever written songs using only bass to play it? Where can I find successful artists that it worked for? Am I crazy?

------------------
    High Lord Peatroosio has spoken.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Do you have access to John Patitucci's ON THE CORNER album? Or his 1st instructional video? Anyway, there's a tune called "A Better Mousetrap" where JP is playing FOUR bass parts-
    1)Bass #1 is playing the groove.
    2)Bass #2 is playing the chords.
    3)Bass #3 is playing the head/melody.
    4)Bass #4 is playing some kinda funky "guitar"-ish line/figure.

After hearing this, I did try my own...YECCHHH! Currently, I put my own stuff down with me on bass, guitar, & drum machine.
    That's usually enough to get the idea across to my fellow band mates.

------------------
    I need to get a life...!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Tim Bogert has a tune he wrote and performs on solo (6-string) bass. It's a blues called "Rosalee". Also, John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is pretty much a solo bass song. Plus, everything Victor Wooten's ever written was probably written on bass.

I, on the other hand, write my songs on guitar.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Since the RHCP have gone through so many guitarists, a lot of their newer stuff seems to be focused on the bass lines more than anything else. The guitar acts more as filler than the actual structure of the song.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out Stuart Hamm's stuff.. he has arranged piano pieces to be played on bass, 2 of my favorites are Moonlight Sonata and Linus & Lucy..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

6. Don't forget Spinal Tap - "Big Bottom" [​IMG]

"Talk about mudflaps my girl's got 'em..."

7. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingray5:
    Don't forget Spinal Tap - "Big Bottom" [​IMG]

"Talk about mudflaps my girl's got 'em..."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG]

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peatroosio:
    I'm starting to write songs and the only problem is that I'm not in a band and don't have music to go along with them! Have any of you ever written songs using only bass to play it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've written songs based around the bass line, but usually added more instruments for live performance. I did work in a duo, with a female singer, where I just played bass and programmed drums and keyboards to go along with it live. We did quite well locally, but I would have wanted more musicians if we had been successful on a wider scale.

There is an amazingly good bass player locally called Franc O' Shea , who I've had a few lessons from and who does solo gigs. His last album "Esprit" has got a couple of tracks which are just bass.

But incredibly ( [​IMG]) nobody has mentioned our own Michael Dimin - see "Ask the Pros" - who plays bass solo shows and has a book on this - "The Chordal Approach" which is about playing bass solo pieces. How much do I get for a plug? Only Joking!

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Check out "Pea" by RHCP...its on the "One Hot Minute" CD. Its Flea playing bass and singing. A nice, simple example. There are a bunch of bands that are bass only bands.

GWeimer... its almost always been like that actually, but before, the bass was a lot more quiet. I guess the switch to almost ALL bass is just a stylistic change of direction.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Lord P --

You didn't say whether you're (1) just trying to PLAY songs for a band -- like in the garage to teach 'em -- or if (2) you're trying to get these songs on tape to DEMO 'em for a band -- or if (3) you're trying to create a completed composition on bass only.

Type 3 above, no question, is advanced stuff in the Patitucci/Hamm area mentioned previously.

Type 2 is a little easier if you have a multitrack and understand a little about chord structure. You'd have to play two- or three-note chords high up above your bass line.

Type 1 may be the toughest unless you can hand your bandmates a chord chart so they can play along with you. (They'd probably want that even if you're doing a Type 2 demo.) A song CAN be played with only a bass line, but your guitar and/or keyboard player are going to want chords. Most songs have 'em, and if YOU don't decide what they should be, your bandmates will probably try to play some -- which may or may not fit your bass line and sung (?) melody.

Email me if you're still drifting.

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited July 12, 2000).]

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  12. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i have multiple songs that i have written and are totally original and have only bass parts that i have written but are intended to have other instruments

13. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yup, that's mostly what I do, either bass-only or bass-oriented.

Try a few:

http://www.mp3.com/prlj/

"Alex's Song" is just one solo bass.

"The Journeyman" has about 5 tracks of bass, some reversed, some looped, some effected to sound like other things...and a few guitar parts.

"Exit" is 4 tracks of bass and 1 of guitar.

"Pause" has a (cool?) bass/harmonic bassline with bass melody on top.

-GM

14. Don't forget Chris Squire's great multibass recording of "The Fish" from the Yes album, Fragile. I don't know how many bass tracks are on that one. There is a bit of percussion and vocals, but all the other instruments are basses.

15. Nicknobody

Nicknobody

Apr 9, 2012
    thenicknobody - YouTube This may help. Some songs I played at a show just using my bass alone. It is very possible to write songs with out the help of other instruments.

16. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Death from Above 1979. All bass and drums.

17. Unless your intention is to make bass only songs, go buy a cheap Squier guitar or something. It really makes writing music much, muuuuuch easier, and learning how to play another instrument is never a bad thing.

18. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    "Whoops, I OD'd." by Nofx
    I'm pretty sure that's all bass. I could be wrong; haven't listened to it in a while.

19. embellisher

Hello 12 year old zombie thread!

[​IMG]